News Briefs and Campus Calendar

UM Commencement exercise redesigned
Students graduating from UM this spring will experience several new traditions introduced by President Donna E. Shalala. In place of the single, large ceremony that included all undergraduates and most graduates (except the School of Law and Medicine), this year the university will hold four individual ceremonies giving each student the opportunity to be recognized. Each student will walk across the stage and receive their diploma. In addition, students will also have the opportunity to invite an unlimited amount of guests to participate in their graduation as well as have their photograph taken receiving their diploma.
“Commencement is one of the most important days in the lives of our graduates,” said President Shalala. “The smaller ceremonies are designed to be more personalized. They will allow us to announce each graduate individually and personally hand them their diploma. These will not be ticketed events-graduates are encouraged to invite as many family and friends as they wish.”
“Other traditional activities-the academic procession, the commencement address and the musical accompaniment-will remain,” explained President Shalala. The undergraduate and graduate Commencement ceremonies (except Medicine and Law) will still be held on the Campus Green.

“Umtv this morning”
“UMTV This Morning” is a 30-minute live interview based purely student run and produced television show focusing entirely on University of Miami life. The show is still in need of a few positions, mainly crew, so if you are interested please reply to xyplex5@aol.com. Please respond ASAP, our first show is this Friday the 15th.

FSU Trip offered by category 5
The University of Miami School of Law is pleased to announce The Multicu-ltural Admissions Fair on Saturday, February 16, 2002 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Law School Campus. For further information or to register for this event visit the University of Miami School of Law’s webpage at www.law.miami.edu/admissions/fair or call the Office of Admissions and Recruiting at 284-6746.

Parking and Transportation
With an important enhancement of the easy system, Parking & Transportation Services announces that as of Friday March 1,2002, Commuter and Residential students may apply for current standard spring term parking permits via EASY. For more information contact David Voorhees at 305-689-5021.

Black Awareness Month

today
Friday Grove on UC Patio from 11:30am-1pm-Rhumboogie.

Ethics Presentation for Honors and Pre-Law students at Pearson Residential College, Prof. Micheal Fischl Master’s apartment. From 12:30-2:30p.m.while a light lunch is served. To RSVP call Honors Office at 305-689-5384.

Happy Hour at the Rathskeller from 4:30-8pm.

UM’s Young Democrats will be holding their General Meeting today at 6p.m. in UC room 237. Guests will include Miami-Dade Young Democrats’ Sandy Wayland and Natalia Villatoro. All students are welcome.

Today is the last day to apply for Summer 2002 graduation and have your name included in the Commencement Book.

Sat 16th Feb
Funday! Check-in on UC center patio.

The UM Equestrian Team is hosting its second annual IHSA Hunter Competition, at Tropical Park, today. The show will begin at 9 a.m. and runs all day. Admission is free and the show is open to the public. If you would like more information, contact Maria Angeles Linares at
305-284-2237 or e-mail mailto:mlinares@miami.edu.

Sun 17th Feb
WWF No way out! The Rathskeller from 7-9pm.

The Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies (ICCAS) will celebrate the third annual Cuban Film Festival from 1 – 5 p.m. today at the Bill Cosford Cinema. The festival is open to the public and there is a suggested $15 donation. Seating is limited. For reservations, call 305-284-2822 (CUBA). For more information on the films visit http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/

Mon 18th Feb
Info Fair and Sex Carnival today from 11am-4pm at the UC Patio. Come out and join the condom taste test or one of the other many games!

Quilts Processional today at 10:45am at the Rock-come and carry a quilt made to recognize someone who has died from the aids virus.

Tues 19th Feb
CAC film, “Monster’s Inc”.

Candlelight Vigil, today at 7pm at the Rock-join us for a quiet moment of reflection upon the lives of those living with aids, those we have lost to aids, and to renew a sense of advocacy and activism.

The Department of Psychology is hosting its second annual Community Lecture Series: Psychology in Film. The next film and discussion will be Tuesday’s with Morrie at the Storer Auditorium in the Business School. For more information call Undergraduate Academic Services for Psychology at 305-284-3303 or visit www.psy.miami.edu.

Wed 20th Feb
Comedian at the Rathskeller at 9pm.

A week for Life will host Jeanne White, the mother of Ryan White who became the face of AIDS in the 1980’s as one of the earliest reported child cases of the disease. Students, faculty and staff are invited to come and hear her speak today at the Wesley Foundation at 8pm.

The 1st Annual MBA & Law Day will be held today from 11a.m.-3p.m at UC 1st floor. All students interested in an MBA program or Law School should make plans to attend.

Thurs 21st Feb
African Students Union (ASU); Come learn about African culture, dances, and songs. Open to all UM students. Meetings are every other Friday in UC classrooms. Next meeting will be today in UC233. For more information contact Alta Louissaint at 305-689-9699.

Coffee House. The Wesley Foundation is the place to be every Thursday night. Come and enjoy live bands, free coffee, and a relaxing atmosphere. Tonight the Coffee House will be welcoming the wonderful jazz combo, “Apple Juice” to the stage. So take a study-break from 9-11p.m. on Thursday nights at the Coffee House.

Amnesty International: Interested in Civil Rights and Human Rights? Join Amnesty International today and make a difference. Our next general meeting will be today in UC room 233. Looking forward to seeing you there! For more information call Alta L at 305-689-9699.

Delta Sigma Pi; One of the Nations Largest Professional Business Fraternity is sponsoring a T-Spot (Thursday night party) at the Rathskeller tonight from 9p.m.-12a.m..

Toppel Career and Internship Expo from 11a.m.-4p.m. at the Wellness Center.

Communication Week

Fri 22nd Feb
Friday Groove from 11:30a.m.-1p.m.; “Tower of Power Ensemble”

Happy Hour at the Rat with a DJ from 4:30-8p.m.

Life Party tonight at 10p.m. at the Rathskeller-come party! They are celebrating Life! There will be music, food, and fun