Changes to SIS will not affect

As every other student in the School of International Studies, I received a very strange and rather unnerving e-mail on Tuesday afternoon from my academic advisor. The message simply said we had a mandatory meeting for the following day, with, among others, the dean of the school, to discuss a “restructuring within the school.” By now, everyone knows what the change is all about: That in the near future, fall of 2002, we’ll probably no longer be part of the SIS, but of the Department of International Studies – or International Affairs, or any other name they might concoct, within the College of Arts and Sciences.

As expected, there’s been some shouting, much complaining.

Interim Dean Andy Gomez and Steven Ullmann, Dean of the Graduate School, tried to sell us a new product, an advantage they said.

Under the umbrella of the College of Arts and Sciences, they said, we will have a whole college open to us – something that wasn’t available before.

I, for one, bought it. I’d probably have asked for the extended warranty in this case, but I’m not sure one is available.

Many of the questions that were asked revolved around one issue: That we won’t be known anymore as a School, but as a department.

I, honestly, don’t give a damn.

But I understand why the undergraduate students are complaining. After all, their degree does (or would) say “School of International Studies,” and now it’ll read “College of Arts and Sciences.” Undergraduates who worked to have the former on their diploma when they graduate in 2003, however, won’t.

But, as a graduate student, I don’t see the difference, other than the fact that my ego – if I actually cared about it – will be hurt. I’ve had a masters diploma from UM since May 2000, and neither my diploma nor my r

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

It started as a large, plain white wall. It's become a conversation piece. ...

The Hurricanes continue their non-conference homestand on Sunday, November 17 when they host the IUP ...

Miami volleyball forced its third straight five-set match on Friday against NC State, but fell short ...

Dylan Sykes and Emma Langlois, leaders of the Miami cross county program, concluded the 2019 season ...

Following a win in its first road game of the season, the Miami men's basketball team will resu ...