Changes to SIS will not affect

As every other student in the School of International Studies, I received a very strange and rather unnerving e-mail on Tuesday afternoon from my academic advisor. The message simply said we had a mandatory meeting for the following day, with, among others, the dean of the school, to discuss a “restructuring within the school.” By now, everyone knows what the change is all about: That in the near future, fall of 2002, we’ll probably no longer be part of the SIS, but of the Department of International Studies – or International Affairs, or any other name they might concoct, within the College of Arts and Sciences.

As expected, there’s been some shouting, much complaining.

Interim Dean Andy Gomez and Steven Ullmann, Dean of the Graduate School, tried to sell us a new product, an advantage they said.

Under the umbrella of the College of Arts and Sciences, they said, we will have a whole college open to us – something that wasn’t available before.

I, for one, bought it. I’d probably have asked for the extended warranty in this case, but I’m not sure one is available.

Many of the questions that were asked revolved around one issue: That we won’t be known anymore as a School, but as a department.

I, honestly, don’t give a damn.

But I understand why the undergraduate students are complaining. After all, their degree does (or would) say “School of International Studies,” and now it’ll read “College of Arts and Sciences.” Undergraduates who worked to have the former on their diploma when they graduate in 2003, however, won’t.

But, as a graduate student, I don’t see the difference, other than the fact that my ego – if I actually cared about it – will be hurt. I’ve had a masters diploma from UM since May 2000, and neither my diploma nor my r

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

The singer, songwriter, actress, and entrepreneur will share insights and advice from her more than ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...