Accident victim found inebriated

The student who found Maria Paola Ramirez lying on the floor after falling from a staircase is shedding new light on the accident.

Amber Lee Condray, freshman, was about to go to bed early Thursday morning when she heard a knock on her door.

“The girl who lives directly below me was banging on my door,” Condray said.

“She said she heard a girl screaming ‘God, help me!'”

Condray, a third floor Mahoney resident, opened the door and heard screams coming from a female.

She and the other girl, a second floor Mahoney resident, ran downstairs, rushing past the nighttime security guard.

“I forgot my ‘Cane Card upstairs and explained to him that someone was hurt and we were going to help her,” Condray said.

The security guard called for help, while Condray and the other resident rushed out and found Ramirez.

“She was lying face down, flailing her arms about,” Condray said. “She said she had fallen and couldn’t move her legs.”

Condray poked Ramirez’s legs, but Ramirez said she felt nothing.

Condray noted alcohol on Ramirez’s breath.

“I asked her if she was on anything and she said she wasn’t, but that she was just drunk,” Condray said.

Condray remained with Ramirez until paramedics arrived, she said.

According to Condray, Ramirez’s roommate, who chose not to comment, said that Ramirez got stuck on the second floor fire escape and climbed up to the third floor ledge , hoping to get down and regain entry into the building.

As of now, Ramirez remains at Jackson Memorial Hospital in good condition.

Condray wanted to visit Ramirez in the hospital, but Ramirez’s roommate, who had already been for a visit, said it was not a good sight.

“She said that Maria couldn’t move and that she had wires everywhere,” Condray said.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...