Women’s tennis undefeated

Miami rolled into Friday’s match against Mississippi State flying high and undefeated at 3-0. The Bulldogs hobbled into the Neil Shiff Tennis Center just days after an embarrassing 7-0 loss to Tulane.
As expected, The ‘Canes took care of business from the opening volley of doubles play and dominated the Bulldogs all afternoon. When it was all said and done, the University of Miami women’s tennis team remained undefeated by destroying State 6-1.
Miami (4-0) won all three doubles matches and took six of seven in singles competition for the easy win.
“I was very impressed with the way the girls played against Mississippi State,” UM coach Paige Yaroshuk said. “Sometimes when we play opponents that aren’t necessarily at our level, which was the case with Mississippi State, sometimes one or two players lower their games and kind of play to their opponent’s level. And (Friday) we didn’t have one player that did that.”
Two players who refuse to play at the opponent’s level are Miami’s leaders – senior Marcy Hora and sophomore transfer Mari Toro.
The twosome took down a Bulldog team led by stand out Caole Soubis.
“I think our best thing is that when one of us is not having a good day we don’t get down on each other,” Hora said. “If I’m not having a good day (Toro) steps it up a level and she takes over and that’s the best part of it.
“We feel the same things on the court.”
In singles competition, Miami dominated, only losing one match by default. Highlighting singles play was each team’s No. 1 competitor. Toro defeated Soubis in three sets, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4.
“I wasn’t playing my best tennis, but I got the job done,” Toro said. “I got the ‘W’.
“She has the style of game that can drive people absolutely insane,” Yaroshuk said. “She never gives up on a point. She never gives up on a ball, and she’s improving… Every time I see her, she’s playing better and better, and she was a good player to start with.”
Miami was scheduled to play No. 3 Florida on Saturday, but the match was canceled due to rain. Hora was disappointed about not getting a chance at the Gators.
“We were ready,” she said. “We were psyched mentally and physically, and we knew we had a big chance.”
Miami next plays at Florida International tomorrow.
“FIU is going to be a good match for us simply because they’re a strong team,” Yaroshuk said. “That’s going to be our first away match of the season. They always get fired up to play us because we’re obviously a cross town rival.”

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...