Women’s tennis undefeated

Miami rolled into Friday’s match against Mississippi State flying high and undefeated at 3-0. The Bulldogs hobbled into the Neil Shiff Tennis Center just days after an embarrassing 7-0 loss to Tulane.
As expected, The ‘Canes took care of business from the opening volley of doubles play and dominated the Bulldogs all afternoon. When it was all said and done, the University of Miami women’s tennis team remained undefeated by destroying State 6-1.
Miami (4-0) won all three doubles matches and took six of seven in singles competition for the easy win.
“I was very impressed with the way the girls played against Mississippi State,” UM coach Paige Yaroshuk said. “Sometimes when we play opponents that aren’t necessarily at our level, which was the case with Mississippi State, sometimes one or two players lower their games and kind of play to their opponent’s level. And (Friday) we didn’t have one player that did that.”
Two players who refuse to play at the opponent’s level are Miami’s leaders – senior Marcy Hora and sophomore transfer Mari Toro.
The twosome took down a Bulldog team led by stand out Caole Soubis.
“I think our best thing is that when one of us is not having a good day we don’t get down on each other,” Hora said. “If I’m not having a good day (Toro) steps it up a level and she takes over and that’s the best part of it.
“We feel the same things on the court.”
In singles competition, Miami dominated, only losing one match by default. Highlighting singles play was each team’s No. 1 competitor. Toro defeated Soubis in three sets, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4.
“I wasn’t playing my best tennis, but I got the job done,” Toro said. “I got the ‘W’.
“She has the style of game that can drive people absolutely insane,” Yaroshuk said. “She never gives up on a point. She never gives up on a ball, and she’s improving… Every time I see her, she’s playing better and better, and she was a good player to start with.”
Miami was scheduled to play No. 3 Florida on Saturday, but the match was canceled due to rain. Hora was disappointed about not getting a chance at the Gators.
“We were ready,” she said. “We were psyched mentally and physically, and we knew we had a big chance.”
Miami next plays at Florida International tomorrow.
“FIU is going to be a good match for us simply because they’re a strong team,” Yaroshuk said. “That’s going to be our first away match of the season. They always get fired up to play us because we’re obviously a cross town rival.”

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...