To valentine or not? Part 1

This Valentine’s Day, I declare be with the one you love. It could be your current squeeze, long-term sweetheart, significant other, or a one-night stand. Enjoy each other’s company while you can still stand the sight of them. Gaze deep into their eyes while dining at a chic restaurant. Maybe while at a movie, lean over and sneak some sugar on the DL.
If you have a crush, send them a bouquet of red roses or that infamously cliched box of chocolates. Just no stalking, for it doesn’t convey romance very well. Thinking of popping the question to that lucky person? Well, hell, I don’t know of any better time to do it then this.
Gentlemen, this is the time to be chivalrous if you’ve been lazy. Quit cheating if you’ve been straying lately-if not completely-for this one special day. Open the car door for your dates when necessary and pull out the chair. Ladies, express your commitment and gratitude to your man, sugar daddy, pimp, baby-father or whoever by smiling and whispering sweet nothings. Keep your mates in check and make them treat you right. All that lovey dovey stuff.
The day may be ridiculous, a so-called “commercial conspiracy,” or just a bunch of B.S. in your eyes, but who cares! Enjoy the occasion while it still exists. Besides, it’s the only day of the year where public displays of affection are tolerable. While it sounds stupid, it’s reason enough to celebrate your relationships, no matter what they are. If Cupid hasn’t struck you recently, then be with your friends or family, or both. You shouldn’t need an excuse to do this, but if you’ve been negligible lately, then make up for it now.
Yes, love will probably be in the air for many on the 14th, and those full of bitterness and hatred will no doubt want to suffocate these people, but try to be thankful. Remember, it’s back to that terribly unromantic, hustle-bustle concrete jungle the day after.
Shouldn’t you at least take advantage of this designated day of romance when you can? Take the time to say thank you to somebody for being there. Or even that sacred, coveted of all romantic sayings: I love you.
Derek Bramble is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and theater.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...