No. 11 Hurricanes falter on national stage

The Miami Hurricanes failed to show a national audience Sunday afternoon that they deserve to be among the top teams in the country, as they came out flat and were dominated by Big East foe Boston College.
The Eagles defeated the No. 11 Hurricanes 76-63, in a contest marked by BC’s ability to hit open jump shots and run down loose balls.
The backcourt of Troy Bell and Ryan Sidney continued to give Miami trouble. Bell scored 24 points and Ryan Sidney added 23 points and nine rebounds to lead the Eagles to their second win over the Hurricanes in 13 days.
The loss dropped Miami (20-4, 7-4 in the Big East) out of first place in the East Division of the conference and one-half game behind Connecticut, who lost on Saturday to St. John’s. Half of Miami’s losses have come against Boston College (16-7, 5-5).
In the first meeting at the Miami Arena on January 29, Bell and Sidney led the Eagles to a 70-65 victory with 25 and 18 points, respectively. Boston College has swept the season series the last two seasons from Miami.
Marcus Barnes had 13 of his 16 points in the first half. John Salmons had 16 points and Darius Rice added 15 points on 5-of-13 shooting.
The Eagles used a strong rebounding advantage to open with a 32-15 lead, 15 minutes into the game. Miami closed the half with an 8-2 run, but still trailed 34-23.
The Eagles lead was cut to 56-47 on two Rice free throws with 7:27 to go, but Bell answered with a three-pointer and the ‘Canes struggled to respond. Miami would never get within eight points the rest of the game.
Boston College outrebounded Miami 41-27 for the game, including 14 on the offensive glass.
Miami struggled in the frontcourt, as center Elton Tyler was just 1-of-7 from the field for three points. James Jones scored six points on 2-of-9 shooting.
Miami continues Big East play tomorrow night against St. John’s at the Miami Arena.

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

It’s a rule Miami Hurricanes freshman defensive tackle Nesta Silvera knew about already. But in no w ...

A quick update from University of Miami football practice No. 8, two days after the first fall scrim ...

That dangerous University of Miami defense that dominated last season? Still dominating — the first- ...

Please don’t call DeeJay Dallas a running back. On second thought, you can call him a running back, ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...