No. 11 Hurricanes falter on national stage

The Miami Hurricanes failed to show a national audience Sunday afternoon that they deserve to be among the top teams in the country, as they came out flat and were dominated by Big East foe Boston College.
The Eagles defeated the No. 11 Hurricanes 76-63, in a contest marked by BC’s ability to hit open jump shots and run down loose balls.
The backcourt of Troy Bell and Ryan Sidney continued to give Miami trouble. Bell scored 24 points and Ryan Sidney added 23 points and nine rebounds to lead the Eagles to their second win over the Hurricanes in 13 days.
The loss dropped Miami (20-4, 7-4 in the Big East) out of first place in the East Division of the conference and one-half game behind Connecticut, who lost on Saturday to St. John’s. Half of Miami’s losses have come against Boston College (16-7, 5-5).
In the first meeting at the Miami Arena on January 29, Bell and Sidney led the Eagles to a 70-65 victory with 25 and 18 points, respectively. Boston College has swept the season series the last two seasons from Miami.
Marcus Barnes had 13 of his 16 points in the first half. John Salmons had 16 points and Darius Rice added 15 points on 5-of-13 shooting.
The Eagles used a strong rebounding advantage to open with a 32-15 lead, 15 minutes into the game. Miami closed the half with an 8-2 run, but still trailed 34-23.
The Eagles lead was cut to 56-47 on two Rice free throws with 7:27 to go, but Bell answered with a three-pointer and the ‘Canes struggled to respond. Miami would never get within eight points the rest of the game.
Boston College outrebounded Miami 41-27 for the game, including 14 on the offensive glass.
Miami struggled in the frontcourt, as center Elton Tyler was just 1-of-7 from the field for three points. James Jones scored six points on 2-of-9 shooting.
Miami continues Big East play tomorrow night against St. John’s at the Miami Arena.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...