Program focuses on violence

Two shoes, a baby’s and a woman’s, tied together by a string, told the story of a mother and child stabbed to death-not by a stranger, but by the father.
There were as many tragic tales as there were shoes lining The Rock this week for “Guns ‘N Violence Awareness Week. ”
Each shoe represented tragedy, innocence lost, and broken dreams.
Every shoe placed on the steps symbolizes those who were killed by a gun, violence, and above all, ignorance.
Some of the shoes were tied together, representing families or groups of people who died as a result of gunfire.
Baby shoes were placed in the front in order to capture people’s attention.
“Guns ‘N Violence Awareness Week” was sponsored by LINK, a programming board of the Volunteer Services Center.
“The shoes are a silent march for those who have been affected [by guns],” said LINK co-chair Azuree Ashby.
Many curious students stopped by the display to inquire about the shoes that were placed on the steps.
Many of them left distraught after realizing that each shoe meant one life lost, the victim of tragedy.
For every shoe there was a piece of paper attached to it telling the story of those killed from gunshots.
“We want to raise awareness about what is going on,” Ashby said.
Another story was about a 17 -year-old with law school aspirations who was instantly killed by a bullet to the head.
“It’s disturbing that each of the shoes out here represent one person’s life,” said junior Bianca Barkley.
“There should definitely be a law about gun safety,” said sophomore Mike Baluyot.
“Eventually these shoes will be donated to the Miami Rescue Mission,” Ashby said.
LINK also provided a display of statistics of gun-related violence.
“Guns kill 34,000 Americans every year and 13 children everyday,” read one poster.
“Child abuse kills more children in America than does accidents, falls, choking on food, drowning, fires, or motor vehicle accidents,” stated a banner at The Rock.
The display also allowed students to post their thoughts about violence and fatal encounters with guns.
The showcase also served as a type of memorial for those who died in such circumstances.
“In October 2000 a young man, Louie Demedieros took his own life…stop unregistered guns and stop the killing,” read one memo.
For each day of the week, LINK also focused on specific issues surrounding guns and violence. Monday focused on those who were affected or killed by guns. Gray armbands were distributed at The Rock for those who wanted to support gun safety and awareness.
Tuesday centered on racism and hate crimes, and orange armbands were passed out.
On Wednesday LINK concentrated on child abuse and youth violence, and gave out blue armbands.
Thursday focused on domestic violence and date rape, represented by the green armbands that were handed out.
Today is dedicated to all those people who died as a result of violence or guns.
In honor of all the victims, their names will be read aloud, and purple armbands will be distributed.

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...