‘Canes lose at Virginia Tech

In Blacksburg Virginia there is a large sign outside the football stadium that reads: Lane Stadium, Home of the Fighting Gobblers. The nickname does not incite fear in opposing teams, but the women’s basketball program at Virginia Tech does.
The Hokies, who are ranked as high as No. 20, dominated the Hurricanes in the second half on Tuesday night to beat Miami 72-60 in front of a crowd of 2,755.
Virginia Tech (16-5, 7-3 Big East) was lead by senior guard Sarah Hicks who scored 20 points on 8- for-11 shooting. After Miami took a 34-30 lead into the locker room at half time, the senior leader came out firing and made two three pointers from the left corner early in the second half. She finished 4-for-7 from beyond the arc and also grabbed seven boards. Nicole Jones and freshman Erin Gibson, who each had 12 points, complemented Sarah Hicks’ play.
Miami (14-8, 7-5) outplayed the Hokies in the first half. Meghan Saake, who finished with 13 points and three assists, sparked Miami’s quick start. Chanivia Broussard had 11 points and the birthday girl, Kathryn Fowler added 10 points. But for Miami it was not enough, as the Hurricanes managed to shoot just 29% from the field in the second half.
Virginia Tech was able to convert missed Miami shots into fast break opportunities and cruised offensively in the final 20 minutes putting a 42 spot on Miami.
Prior to this game, Virginia Tech had lost three straight contests, but the Hokies have been all but unbeatable at home winning 10 of 11 games.
Miami will get a chance at revenge on February 20 as they will take on Tech at the Knight Sports Complex. However, before the big rematch, Miami will look to improve on its record against Big East foe Georgetown next Wednesday. The Hurricanes will then come home for a game against cross-town rival FIU on February 16. Miami concludes the regular season at Providence on the 23rd and home against Big East power Boston College on the 26th.
Miami has already improved on last year, during which the team won only six conference games. At 7-5 in the Big East with four conference games left to play, anything can happen going into March Madness.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...