Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S TENNIS
The No. 38-ranked Miami women’s tennis team remained undefeated after beating No. 25 South Alabama, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The match came down to No. 2 singles where senior Marcy Hora went to three sets with Silvia Sosnarova of South Alabama. Hora was up 4-1 in the third set when South Alabama head coach Joey Scrivano became upset with a call made by the lines judge and was penalized a game penalty. Scrivano continued to argue and was penalized a match penalty to give Miami the win over Jaguars. The Hurricanes entered singles play down 1-0 after losing the doubles point. Sophomore Sihem Bennacer won the first point for UM at No. 4 singles beating Nienke Scheltens 6-2, 6-2. Miami was down 3-1 after falling at No. 3 and No. 6 singles. Newcomer and 69th-ranked Mari Toro beat No. 32 Viktoria Stoklasova 7-5, 4-6, 6-0 at the No. 1 spot, and Ewelina Skaza beat Katarina Palenikova 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 at No. 5 to tie the match at three-all. Hora’s defeat over Sosnarova gave Miami the 4-3 victory over the Jaguars. The women are back in action Friday, hosting No. 48 Mississippi State at 3 p.m.

SWIMMING AND DIVING
Christine Williams set the fastest time in the 100-yard freestyle (51.74) so far this season for the UM women’s swimming team and Miami defeated FAU 161-143 in Boca Raton last Saturday. The Miami men’s team lost 194-81. Williams took first in the 100 free and third in the 50-yard free. Sophomore Manon van Rooijen won the 200-yard free with a time of 1:52.24 and the 100-yard fly at 58.18. For the Miami men, senior Wes Stoddard won the 1000-yard freestyle (9:52.84) and finished second in the 400-yard IM (4:11.35). Junior Kevin Kerrick finished first in the 200-yard free (1:46.09) while freshman Josh Laban had a season-best 1:00.18 time in the 100-yard breaststroke.

TRACK AND FIELD
Sophomore Andre Johnson set a meet record in the 60-meter dash by running a 6.85 at the J.D. Martin
Invitational in Norman, Ok. on Saturday for the UM men’s track and field team. Johnson broke the previous meet record of 6.88 seconds set by Mesut Yavis of Arkansas State in 2001. Freshman Willis McGahee (6.88), Roscoe Parrish (6.92) and Tanard Davis (6.95) joined Johnson in qualifying for the Big East in the 60-meter dash. In the pole vault competition, junior Jabari Ennis and senior Aaron Moser set NCAA provisional marks by clearing 5.20 meters (17-00.75 feet). Junior Jeff Gaulrapp finished second in the 3000-meter with a time of 8:43.20 while sophomore Kenny Frank finished fourth in the 60-meter hurdles at 8.28 seconds. Miami competes in the Big East championships in Syracuse, NY on Feb. 15-16.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...