Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S TENNIS
The No. 38-ranked Miami women’s tennis team remained undefeated after beating No. 25 South Alabama, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The match came down to No. 2 singles where senior Marcy Hora went to three sets with Silvia Sosnarova of South Alabama. Hora was up 4-1 in the third set when South Alabama head coach Joey Scrivano became upset with a call made by the lines judge and was penalized a game penalty. Scrivano continued to argue and was penalized a match penalty to give Miami the win over Jaguars. The Hurricanes entered singles play down 1-0 after losing the doubles point. Sophomore Sihem Bennacer won the first point for UM at No. 4 singles beating Nienke Scheltens 6-2, 6-2. Miami was down 3-1 after falling at No. 3 and No. 6 singles. Newcomer and 69th-ranked Mari Toro beat No. 32 Viktoria Stoklasova 7-5, 4-6, 6-0 at the No. 1 spot, and Ewelina Skaza beat Katarina Palenikova 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 at No. 5 to tie the match at three-all. Hora’s defeat over Sosnarova gave Miami the 4-3 victory over the Jaguars. The women are back in action Friday, hosting No. 48 Mississippi State at 3 p.m.

SWIMMING AND DIVING
Christine Williams set the fastest time in the 100-yard freestyle (51.74) so far this season for the UM women’s swimming team and Miami defeated FAU 161-143 in Boca Raton last Saturday. The Miami men’s team lost 194-81. Williams took first in the 100 free and third in the 50-yard free. Sophomore Manon van Rooijen won the 200-yard free with a time of 1:52.24 and the 100-yard fly at 58.18. For the Miami men, senior Wes Stoddard won the 1000-yard freestyle (9:52.84) and finished second in the 400-yard IM (4:11.35). Junior Kevin Kerrick finished first in the 200-yard free (1:46.09) while freshman Josh Laban had a season-best 1:00.18 time in the 100-yard breaststroke.

TRACK AND FIELD
Sophomore Andre Johnson set a meet record in the 60-meter dash by running a 6.85 at the J.D. Martin
Invitational in Norman, Ok. on Saturday for the UM men’s track and field team. Johnson broke the previous meet record of 6.88 seconds set by Mesut Yavis of Arkansas State in 2001. Freshman Willis McGahee (6.88), Roscoe Parrish (6.92) and Tanard Davis (6.95) joined Johnson in qualifying for the Big East in the 60-meter dash. In the pole vault competition, junior Jabari Ennis and senior Aaron Moser set NCAA provisional marks by clearing 5.20 meters (17-00.75 feet). Junior Jeff Gaulrapp finished second in the 3000-meter with a time of 8:43.20 while sophomore Kenny Frank finished fourth in the 60-meter hurdles at 8.28 seconds. Miami competes in the Big East championships in Syracuse, NY on Feb. 15-16.

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...