Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S TENNIS
The No. 38-ranked Miami women’s tennis team remained undefeated after beating No. 25 South Alabama, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The match came down to No. 2 singles where senior Marcy Hora went to three sets with Silvia Sosnarova of South Alabama. Hora was up 4-1 in the third set when South Alabama head coach Joey Scrivano became upset with a call made by the lines judge and was penalized a game penalty. Scrivano continued to argue and was penalized a match penalty to give Miami the win over Jaguars. The Hurricanes entered singles play down 1-0 after losing the doubles point. Sophomore Sihem Bennacer won the first point for UM at No. 4 singles beating Nienke Scheltens 6-2, 6-2. Miami was down 3-1 after falling at No. 3 and No. 6 singles. Newcomer and 69th-ranked Mari Toro beat No. 32 Viktoria Stoklasova 7-5, 4-6, 6-0 at the No. 1 spot, and Ewelina Skaza beat Katarina Palenikova 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 at No. 5 to tie the match at three-all. Hora’s defeat over Sosnarova gave Miami the 4-3 victory over the Jaguars. The women are back in action Friday, hosting No. 48 Mississippi State at 3 p.m.

SWIMMING AND DIVING
Christine Williams set the fastest time in the 100-yard freestyle (51.74) so far this season for the UM women’s swimming team and Miami defeated FAU 161-143 in Boca Raton last Saturday. The Miami men’s team lost 194-81. Williams took first in the 100 free and third in the 50-yard free. Sophomore Manon van Rooijen won the 200-yard free with a time of 1:52.24 and the 100-yard fly at 58.18. For the Miami men, senior Wes Stoddard won the 1000-yard freestyle (9:52.84) and finished second in the 400-yard IM (4:11.35). Junior Kevin Kerrick finished first in the 200-yard free (1:46.09) while freshman Josh Laban had a season-best 1:00.18 time in the 100-yard breaststroke.

TRACK AND FIELD
Sophomore Andre Johnson set a meet record in the 60-meter dash by running a 6.85 at the J.D. Martin
Invitational in Norman, Ok. on Saturday for the UM men’s track and field team. Johnson broke the previous meet record of 6.88 seconds set by Mesut Yavis of Arkansas State in 2001. Freshman Willis McGahee (6.88), Roscoe Parrish (6.92) and Tanard Davis (6.95) joined Johnson in qualifying for the Big East in the 60-meter dash. In the pole vault competition, junior Jabari Ennis and senior Aaron Moser set NCAA provisional marks by clearing 5.20 meters (17-00.75 feet). Junior Jeff Gaulrapp finished second in the 3000-meter with a time of 8:43.20 while sophomore Kenny Frank finished fourth in the 60-meter hurdles at 8.28 seconds. Miami competes in the Big East championships in Syracuse, NY on Feb. 15-16.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...