Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S TENNIS
The No. 38-ranked Miami women’s tennis team remained undefeated after beating No. 25 South Alabama, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The match came down to No. 2 singles where senior Marcy Hora went to three sets with Silvia Sosnarova of South Alabama. Hora was up 4-1 in the third set when South Alabama head coach Joey Scrivano became upset with a call made by the lines judge and was penalized a game penalty. Scrivano continued to argue and was penalized a match penalty to give Miami the win over Jaguars. The Hurricanes entered singles play down 1-0 after losing the doubles point. Sophomore Sihem Bennacer won the first point for UM at No. 4 singles beating Nienke Scheltens 6-2, 6-2. Miami was down 3-1 after falling at No. 3 and No. 6 singles. Newcomer and 69th-ranked Mari Toro beat No. 32 Viktoria Stoklasova 7-5, 4-6, 6-0 at the No. 1 spot, and Ewelina Skaza beat Katarina Palenikova 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 at No. 5 to tie the match at three-all. Hora’s defeat over Sosnarova gave Miami the 4-3 victory over the Jaguars. The women are back in action Friday, hosting No. 48 Mississippi State at 3 p.m.

SWIMMING AND DIVING
Christine Williams set the fastest time in the 100-yard freestyle (51.74) so far this season for the UM women’s swimming team and Miami defeated FAU 161-143 in Boca Raton last Saturday. The Miami men’s team lost 194-81. Williams took first in the 100 free and third in the 50-yard free. Sophomore Manon van Rooijen won the 200-yard free with a time of 1:52.24 and the 100-yard fly at 58.18. For the Miami men, senior Wes Stoddard won the 1000-yard freestyle (9:52.84) and finished second in the 400-yard IM (4:11.35). Junior Kevin Kerrick finished first in the 200-yard free (1:46.09) while freshman Josh Laban had a season-best 1:00.18 time in the 100-yard breaststroke.

TRACK AND FIELD
Sophomore Andre Johnson set a meet record in the 60-meter dash by running a 6.85 at the J.D. Martin
Invitational in Norman, Ok. on Saturday for the UM men’s track and field team. Johnson broke the previous meet record of 6.88 seconds set by Mesut Yavis of Arkansas State in 2001. Freshman Willis McGahee (6.88), Roscoe Parrish (6.92) and Tanard Davis (6.95) joined Johnson in qualifying for the Big East in the 60-meter dash. In the pole vault competition, junior Jabari Ennis and senior Aaron Moser set NCAA provisional marks by clearing 5.20 meters (17-00.75 feet). Junior Jeff Gaulrapp finished second in the 3000-meter with a time of 8:43.20 while sophomore Kenny Frank finished fourth in the 60-meter hurdles at 8.28 seconds. Miami competes in the Big East championships in Syracuse, NY on Feb. 15-16.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...