News Briefs and Campus Calendar

Digital Media Lab Now Open

Due to the high demand and increase in using digital media content in the classroom and at the University, the Otto G. Richter library has provided a startup facility. The Digital Media Lab is a unique collaboration between the University and Digital Media staff at the Otto G. Richter Library that want to provide students, faculty, and staff with a location for enhancing instruction and research through digitized audio and video.
The Digital Media Lab provides media equipment, software, computers, and user assistance for the creation of media-enhanced instructional products in a centralized facility for digital and video content. Services are available to all students, faculty, and staff of the University of Miami by appointment only. The types of digital media projects that can be done through the media lab range from website design, DVD production, animation, photo design, and video editing.
One of the many advantages of this facility will be the ability for faculty and staff to request assistance with a digital media content project that is being worked on at the University of Miami. It will also allow students the ability to utilize computers and software with the power to edit/create digital media content for classroom projects.
If you’re interested in learning more about the Digital Media Lab, please feel free to visit the website at http://digital.library.miami.edu/medialab or contact the Digital Media Projects Manager, Fabian Rodriguez, via e-mail at frodriguez@miami.edu . The lab is available by appointment only so please visit the website and fill out a form or contact Rodriguez for a tour.

UMTV adds a new television network to its line up

The College Television Network (CTN) is a nationally distributed entertainment and information television network produced specifically for the college audience and is currently being carried by over 800 affiliated campuses nationwide. In addition to the latest music videos, artist interviews and lifestyle features, CTN produces customized news and sports segments with CNN that are geared toward students. CTN replaces the Classic Arts Showcase and can be seen on Channel 24 on campus and Channel 96 in the Gables.

Student Government Spring Elections

Spring 2002 Student Government Elections are approaching soon. If you would like to be a candidate in this election, you must stop by UC 209 and pick up your Candidate’s Packet. Some of the available positions include: Student Government President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Academic and Commuter Senators. The last day to turn in your Candidate’s Packet is Friday, Feb. 8 at 5:00 p.m.
It’s your choice, your voice, your VOTE-Make It Count!
For more information contact the Student Government Elections Commission at x6399 or stop by University Center room 209.

Today
Asian Music Students Concert (various artists) today at 8 p.m.-10:30 p.m. at Victor E. Clarke Recital Hall in the L. Austin Weeks Center. Admission is free.

CAC sneak peek at the Cosford Cinema from 9-11p.m.: Collateral Damage.

Senior orientation from 12-1pm at Toppel Career Center library.

Women’s Resource Center open house at 4:30-5:30p.m at UC room 224.

Wednesday 6 February
Open mic/ poetry night with BAM at the Rathskeller from 7-9p.m.

Workshop: Getting the most from reading your textbooks at 1p.m.

Jomills H. Braddock II, Director of the Center for Research on Sport in Society (CRSS) and a professor of sociology, will present an informal lecture titled School Sports and Race Relations as part of the “CRSS Brown Bag Series” at 12:15 p.m. today at the Pearson Residential College. The lecture is free and open to all students and faculty.

Tibetan Monks perform “Sacred Music and Sacred Dance for World Healing” tonight at 8pm in the Gusman Concert Hall. Doors open at 7:30p.m., event is free to UM students while $5 for other students/seniors and $8 for general admission. VIP passes available in UC 206 (preferred seating). For more information contact Breana Burkett at 305-284-4606.

Karaoke Kraziness. A fun musical event in the Allen Hall courtyard from 12-1p.m. We’re looking for all IEP students to participate. Talk to Maria in the IEP office for more information and lyrics to Karaoke songs. (This event is open to IEP students only.)

Join the Wellness Center today between 5-7p.m. in its Atrium for Healthy Heart Day, an event providing information to protect both aspects of your heart-physical and emotional. Information will be available on nutrition, healthy relationships, and preventing sexual transmitted infections and sexual assault. For more information call 305-284-6524.

BFA Film Series: “The Last Dragon” at 9p.m.

OJU Food Sale in UC

Thursday 7 February
Workshop: Getting the most from reading your textbooks at 12:30p.m..

Einstein’s Biggest Blunder? The Case for Cosmic ‘Antigravity’ is a public lecture co-sponsored by Phi Beta Kappa and the Department of Physics and will be held at 8 p.m., tonight at the Wilder Auditorium. The speaker is Alexei V. Filippenko, professor of astronomy at University of California, Berkeley. Just prior to the lecture there will be an award presentation to the winners of the 2001 High School Physics Competition held last spring.

B.O.N.D. Brain Bowl at the Rathskeller at 8p.m..

Friday 8 February
Friday Grove on UC Patio from 11:30am-1pm.

Senior orientation from 2-3pm at Toppel Career Center library.

Applications for Orientation and Commuter Affairs are due today at 5pm.

Happy Hour at the Rathskeller from 4:30-8pm- Erica Summers.

Today is the last day to apply for graduation for Spring 2002

Deadline to order your cap and gown through the Toppel Career Center is today.

Saturday 9 February
The National Association of Latino Arts and Culture is having its first regional meeting in Florida beginning at 9 a.m. today at the University Center. The regional meetings convene throughout the nation to assist in strengthening local networks of Latino arts and cultural organizations and provide an opportunity for Latino arts and cultural organizations to come together for a one-day meeting to share information, develop strategies and develop working collaborations. The registration form is available at http://www.nalac.org/home.html.

Tuesday 12 February
CAC film at the Cosford Cinema.

Wednesday 13th February
Karaoke Night at Rathskeller

Workshop: Managing midterms, term papers, and projects at 1pm.