Home Sweet Home

As spring rolls around, many students dream of packing their bags and finding a place of their own off campus or away from home. In a city as big and expensive as Miami, dreams of living in Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, or South Beach may not always be realistic, especially for a college student.
It’s important to know where to start looking for an ideal apartment within a realistic price range where you won’t have to wake up hours early just to get to school on time or put ten dead bolts on your door to feel safe. Thanks to realtor Danny Dominguez and with the help of miami.com, here’s a brief overview of what’s out there:

Up to $599 a month
The Airport &Westchester
If your budget is limited, this is definitely a place where to start looking for a pad. The airport is centrally located, the Beach is just a few exits away, and a job in the area would probably be an easy find. The downside to this area would definitely be the heavy traffic.

Like what you see? Call:
The Airport Villas
(305) 649-9000
1/1 starting at $545/month

From $600 to $900 a month
Right outside of the Gables and by Dadeland

With a little bit more money or maybe a roommate to split the rent, you could probably find a decent 1/1 or 2/1 on Eighth Street and Thirty-Seventh Avenue or off Sixty-seventh Avenue and Fifty-sixth Street. The location is a definite plus, with the school just a 10-minute drive away, and you get the Gables proximity without paying Gables taxes. The Dadeland area provides easy access to the Metrorail. Just remember, this is not the Gables, and there are not pretty palm trees lining the streets.

Like what you see? Call:
The Village At Dadeland
7440 S.W. 82nd St.
(305) 665-5759
1/1 starting at $700 a month and 2/1 starting at $800

Kendall
If you want a bigger apartment for the same price, Kendall is definitely a place to look. There are a lot of job opportunities in the area, and quality is a lot cheaper to rent. The main downside to this area is the distance from school; it might take you a 45-minute drive in traffic. Many commuters, however, live in the area and decide that it’s worth it.

Like what you see? Call:
The Courts At Kendall
15490 S.W. 80th St.
(305) 382-2653
1/1 starting at $669 and 2/1 starting at $755

South Beach ‘s
“vintage” apartments
Beware the word “vintage” because for all practical purposes that probably means old and falling apart. However, if it’s always been your absolute dream to live a block away from the ocean and you don’t mind the 20-minute commute, this may be something to look into. The nightlife here is a definite plus, and living on the beach is truly an experience.

Like what you see? Call:
The Alamac Apartments
1300 Collins Avenue
(305)531-4173
Studios starting at $660 and 1/1 starting at $850

Also: Visit thesublet.com for student rates on apartments at this price range all over Miami.

University of Miami’s new/old starting quarterback Malik Rosier thought his college football career ...

You know what the infamous N’Kosi Perry wads-o’-cash video brings to mind for me? The good old days. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday evening: ▪ Would you like a greater understanding of why ...

As the college football season continues toward the finish line, Bovada updated its odds on who can ...

More misfortune for the University of Miami football program. University of Miami freshman running b ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

Miami's offense has shown consistent improvement in practice and it is eager to shine on Friday ...

The University of Miami volleyball program closes out its homestand against instate rival Florida St ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami women's basketball placed fifth in the ACC Coaches' predicted order of finish, w ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up competition Tuesday at the ITA Southeast R ...