‘Funday in the U.S.A’ coming to campus

For the 21st time in the University of Miami’s history, students will buddy up with special needs citizens for Funday.
Student volunteers from the university are paired up with people who have special needs.
The theme this year is “Funday in the U.S.A.”
“The special citizens look forward to this event all year. They are the ones who benefit from this program,” said Brooke Etzel, Funday co-chair.
This not-for-profit event starts with the opening ceremonies, and then continues with a carnival, arts and crafts, mystery theatre and a barbecue.
The buddies are given similar colored shirts and then enjoy a day filled with food, music and activities playing games, bouncing around in the jumping castle, and getting their faces painted.
There will be a DJ on the Rock and a band on the UC patio.
President Donna Shalala will address the crowd and participate in a cake cutting ceremony celebrating Funday’s 21st anniversary.
Miss UM, Erin Fowler, will be singing the national anthem and the ROTC band will be playing.
There will be some 350 special citizens participating in the event this year.
But more student volunteers are needed, Etzel said.
If anyone would like to sign up they can do so by calling 284-GIVE and speaking to a representative. Funday will take place on Saturday Feb. 16 from noon to 5 p.m.

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...