‘Funday in the U.S.A’ coming to campus

For the 21st time in the University of Miami’s history, students will buddy up with special needs citizens for Funday.
Student volunteers from the university are paired up with people who have special needs.
The theme this year is “Funday in the U.S.A.”
“The special citizens look forward to this event all year. They are the ones who benefit from this program,” said Brooke Etzel, Funday co-chair.
This not-for-profit event starts with the opening ceremonies, and then continues with a carnival, arts and crafts, mystery theatre and a barbecue.
The buddies are given similar colored shirts and then enjoy a day filled with food, music and activities playing games, bouncing around in the jumping castle, and getting their faces painted.
There will be a DJ on the Rock and a band on the UC patio.
President Donna Shalala will address the crowd and participate in a cake cutting ceremony celebrating Funday’s 21st anniversary.
Miss UM, Erin Fowler, will be singing the national anthem and the ROTC band will be playing.
There will be some 350 special citizens participating in the event this year.
But more student volunteers are needed, Etzel said.
If anyone would like to sign up they can do so by calling 284-GIVE and speaking to a representative. Funday will take place on Saturday Feb. 16 from noon to 5 p.m.

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

The ITA released Thursday its academic accolades for the 2018-19 season and the University of Miami ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...