‘Funday in the U.S.A’ coming to campus

For the 21st time in the University of Miami’s history, students will buddy up with special needs citizens for Funday.
Student volunteers from the university are paired up with people who have special needs.
The theme this year is “Funday in the U.S.A.”
“The special citizens look forward to this event all year. They are the ones who benefit from this program,” said Brooke Etzel, Funday co-chair.
This not-for-profit event starts with the opening ceremonies, and then continues with a carnival, arts and crafts, mystery theatre and a barbecue.
The buddies are given similar colored shirts and then enjoy a day filled with food, music and activities playing games, bouncing around in the jumping castle, and getting their faces painted.
There will be a DJ on the Rock and a band on the UC patio.
President Donna Shalala will address the crowd and participate in a cake cutting ceremony celebrating Funday’s 21st anniversary.
Miss UM, Erin Fowler, will be singing the national anthem and the ROTC band will be playing.
There will be some 350 special citizens participating in the event this year.
But more student volunteers are needed, Etzel said.
If anyone would like to sign up they can do so by calling 284-GIVE and speaking to a representative. Funday will take place on Saturday Feb. 16 from noon to 5 p.m.

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas