Faculty Club on the move

Starting in the fall semester of 2002, the faculty of the University of Miami will have a new, more centralized club for their exclusive use.
For some time, the faculty has been voicing their opinion, “requesting to have a more centralized club that they can get to easier” said Faculty Club manager Tom Dalgan. While their requests went unanswered by former university president Edward T. Foote, current president Donna Shalala has taken the initiative to help faculty members.
In a meeting this past September, President Shalala made the decision to design a new Faculty Club in the south end of the existing patio food court.
“A wall will be constructed near the Panda Express on the far end of the food court,” said Dalgan. “There will be hardwood floors and a first class catering service.”
Once a popular hangout, in the past few years faculty members have not been able to fully utilize their club at its current location.
Near the corner of Brescia Ave. and Red Rd., down the street from the fraternity houses, the less-than-ideal-location for the current Faculty Club is difficult for faculty members to get to.
Without giving up their coveted parking spaces, UM faculty members can either walk or take the shuttle to reach the clubhouse. Since most faculty members are not thrilled about the idea of walking across campus in midday Miami heat, the club is rarely used to its maximum potential.
Founded in 1966, the club still operates to its original intention, serving as the faculty’s dining hall during the day, but also is privately contracted as a banquet hall in the evening and on weekends for parties, weddings, and conferences.
Construction will begin in May and will run all summer, the new club will be open in late August, Dalgan said.
Since the club will be remodeled in the far end of the food court-which goes unused most of the time-few students will be affected by the change, Dalgan said.
All of the operating vendors like Starbucks and Burger King will remain at their current locations.
As for the present Faculty Club, it is to become a full time banquet hall, serving interested parties with their well-trained staff and first class food service.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...