Faculty Club on the move

Starting in the fall semester of 2002, the faculty of the University of Miami will have a new, more centralized club for their exclusive use.
For some time, the faculty has been voicing their opinion, “requesting to have a more centralized club that they can get to easier” said Faculty Club manager Tom Dalgan. While their requests went unanswered by former university president Edward T. Foote, current president Donna Shalala has taken the initiative to help faculty members.
In a meeting this past September, President Shalala made the decision to design a new Faculty Club in the south end of the existing patio food court.
“A wall will be constructed near the Panda Express on the far end of the food court,” said Dalgan. “There will be hardwood floors and a first class catering service.”
Once a popular hangout, in the past few years faculty members have not been able to fully utilize their club at its current location.
Near the corner of Brescia Ave. and Red Rd., down the street from the fraternity houses, the less-than-ideal-location for the current Faculty Club is difficult for faculty members to get to.
Without giving up their coveted parking spaces, UM faculty members can either walk or take the shuttle to reach the clubhouse. Since most faculty members are not thrilled about the idea of walking across campus in midday Miami heat, the club is rarely used to its maximum potential.
Founded in 1966, the club still operates to its original intention, serving as the faculty’s dining hall during the day, but also is privately contracted as a banquet hall in the evening and on weekends for parties, weddings, and conferences.
Construction will begin in May and will run all summer, the new club will be open in late August, Dalgan said.
Since the club will be remodeled in the far end of the food court-which goes unused most of the time-few students will be affected by the change, Dalgan said.
All of the operating vendors like Starbucks and Burger King will remain at their current locations.
As for the present Faculty Club, it is to become a full time banquet hall, serving interested parties with their well-trained staff and first class food service.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...