Faculty Club on the move

Starting in the fall semester of 2002, the faculty of the University of Miami will have a new, more centralized club for their exclusive use.
For some time, the faculty has been voicing their opinion, “requesting to have a more centralized club that they can get to easier” said Faculty Club manager Tom Dalgan. While their requests went unanswered by former university president Edward T. Foote, current president Donna Shalala has taken the initiative to help faculty members.
In a meeting this past September, President Shalala made the decision to design a new Faculty Club in the south end of the existing patio food court.
“A wall will be constructed near the Panda Express on the far end of the food court,” said Dalgan. “There will be hardwood floors and a first class catering service.”
Once a popular hangout, in the past few years faculty members have not been able to fully utilize their club at its current location.
Near the corner of Brescia Ave. and Red Rd., down the street from the fraternity houses, the less-than-ideal-location for the current Faculty Club is difficult for faculty members to get to.
Without giving up their coveted parking spaces, UM faculty members can either walk or take the shuttle to reach the clubhouse. Since most faculty members are not thrilled about the idea of walking across campus in midday Miami heat, the club is rarely used to its maximum potential.
Founded in 1966, the club still operates to its original intention, serving as the faculty’s dining hall during the day, but also is privately contracted as a banquet hall in the evening and on weekends for parties, weddings, and conferences.
Construction will begin in May and will run all summer, the new club will be open in late August, Dalgan said.
Since the club will be remodeled in the far end of the food court-which goes unused most of the time-few students will be affected by the change, Dalgan said.
All of the operating vendors like Starbucks and Burger King will remain at their current locations.
As for the present Faculty Club, it is to become a full time banquet hall, serving interested parties with their well-trained staff and first class food service.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...