Desaparecidos Appeared & Conquered

Standing close to the front, anyone could have been blown away by the explosion that rocked the stage. For the approximately 40 minutes that they played, the indie rock group Desaparecidos intensely devoted themselves to the audience that came to see them shine and strived to not disappoint. They have worked arduously for a year to make music that matters and for the past month attempted it to bring it home.
The Omaha, Neb.-natives Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes mastermind),vocals and guitars, Denver Dalley, guitar, Landon Hedges, bass, Ian McElroy, keyboards, and drummer Matt Baum released their debut album under the Saddle Creek label, titled Read Music/Speak Spanish last Friday at Revolver, a club located a few blocks away from Sunset Place.
The album touches and criticizes intensely and frankly the topics of over-commercialism, suburban values and society in America. Desaparecidos, which translated from Spanish means “the disappeared,” has also decided to focus on the Hispanic culture, because, according to Dalley, “Hispanics have a lot of influence in America and we grew up in neighborhoods with many Latin people.”
The band members are currently in the middle of a month-long cross country tour; something they fully enjoy.
“I love touring; it is the most fun thing I could imagine,” said Malley.
And so on Friday night, it was South Miami’s turn to host the group. Local act Poulain, who received a lot of positive feedback from the audience, opened the show with an acoustic set of beautiful and delicate songs. The Athens, Ga. dark melodic pop rock group Now it’s Overhead followed with powerful and dense tracks, which incited the crowd, and the typical enigmatic, yet raw attitude of a rock and roll band.
At about 1:30 a.m., Desparecidos took the stage. Hedges’ childish comments, Baum’s rowdy remarks, the keyboardist’s mysterious, shy attitude, guitarist Dalley’s rock star pose, and Oberst’s control over the crowd complemented each other to perfection. Despite a few troubles with the instruments, wet floor and group coordination, the band fulfilled the expectations of everyone that went to see them. Desaparecidos played songs from their new album, including the standout tracks The Happiest Place on Earth, $$$$, and Ma

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...