Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING
The 2002 University of Miami swimming and diving team will travel to Boca Raton for a dual meet with FAU tomorrow. The Hurricanes previously hosted the Owls at the Norman Whitten Student Union Pool in Coral Gables on October 27th, 2001. The women won 161-137 while the men lost 149-106. For the UM women, junior Christine Williams has the fastest time this season in the 50-yard freestyle with her 24.05-second performance at the Pittsburgh Invitational on November 16th. At the same meet, Williams also recorded the fastest time in the 100-yard free (51.77) this season. Sophomore standout Manon van Rooijen recorded the fastest time in the 200 free (1:51.10) in Pittsburgh and holds the fastest time in the 500 free (5:07.30) from the Gator Relays meet in Gainesville on October 20th. Junior Elaine Schwartz has the fastest times in the 1000-yard freestyle (10:33.71) and 400 IM (4:26.38) while sophomore Courtney Caples has the best times in the 100 breast (1:05.70) and 200 breast (2:20.84).

MEN’S TRACK
Senior Jabari Ennis finished sixth in the pole vault with a mark of 4.75 meters (15-07.00) to lead the University of Miami men’s track and field team at the Blue Heaven Track and Field Rumble in Chapel Hill, NC last Saturday. Overall the Hurricanes had three athletes record top-10 finishes. Senior Jeff Gaulrap finished eighth in the 5000-meters (15:19.75) and senior Gus Martin took seventh in the 60-meter hurdles (8.07).

WOMEN’S TRACK
Freshman Lauryn Williams won the 60-meter dash and 200-meter dash, and senior All-American Kareen Clarke won the triple jump to lead the 15th-ranked University of Miami women’s track and field team at the Illinois Women’s Invitational in Champaign, IL last Saturday. Williams, who has the fastest time in the United States and seventh fastest time in the world in the 60-meters this year, took first in the 60-meters with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 7.38. All-American Kareen Clarke recorded her third consecutive meet victory in the triple jump outdistancing her nearest competitor by nearly two feet. Clarke, who has the top jump in the nation this season, registered an NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 12.67 meters (41-07.00). Clarke also finished second in the long jump with a jump of 5.95 meters (19-06.25). Miami dominated the 400-meters taking four of the top five positions. school-record time of 55.30.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...