Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING
The 2002 University of Miami swimming and diving team will travel to Boca Raton for a dual meet with FAU tomorrow. The Hurricanes previously hosted the Owls at the Norman Whitten Student Union Pool in Coral Gables on October 27th, 2001. The women won 161-137 while the men lost 149-106. For the UM women, junior Christine Williams has the fastest time this season in the 50-yard freestyle with her 24.05-second performance at the Pittsburgh Invitational on November 16th. At the same meet, Williams also recorded the fastest time in the 100-yard free (51.77) this season. Sophomore standout Manon van Rooijen recorded the fastest time in the 200 free (1:51.10) in Pittsburgh and holds the fastest time in the 500 free (5:07.30) from the Gator Relays meet in Gainesville on October 20th. Junior Elaine Schwartz has the fastest times in the 1000-yard freestyle (10:33.71) and 400 IM (4:26.38) while sophomore Courtney Caples has the best times in the 100 breast (1:05.70) and 200 breast (2:20.84).

MEN’S TRACK
Senior Jabari Ennis finished sixth in the pole vault with a mark of 4.75 meters (15-07.00) to lead the University of Miami men’s track and field team at the Blue Heaven Track and Field Rumble in Chapel Hill, NC last Saturday. Overall the Hurricanes had three athletes record top-10 finishes. Senior Jeff Gaulrap finished eighth in the 5000-meters (15:19.75) and senior Gus Martin took seventh in the 60-meter hurdles (8.07).

WOMEN’S TRACK
Freshman Lauryn Williams won the 60-meter dash and 200-meter dash, and senior All-American Kareen Clarke won the triple jump to lead the 15th-ranked University of Miami women’s track and field team at the Illinois Women’s Invitational in Champaign, IL last Saturday. Williams, who has the fastest time in the United States and seventh fastest time in the world in the 60-meters this year, took first in the 60-meters with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 7.38. All-American Kareen Clarke recorded her third consecutive meet victory in the triple jump outdistancing her nearest competitor by nearly two feet. Clarke, who has the top jump in the nation this season, registered an NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 12.67 meters (41-07.00). Clarke also finished second in the long jump with a jump of 5.95 meters (19-06.25). Miami dominated the 400-meters taking four of the top five positions. school-record time of 55.30.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...