Sports Briefs

SWIMMING AND DIVING
The 2002 University of Miami swimming and diving team will travel to Boca Raton for a dual meet with FAU tomorrow. The Hurricanes previously hosted the Owls at the Norman Whitten Student Union Pool in Coral Gables on October 27th, 2001. The women won 161-137 while the men lost 149-106. For the UM women, junior Christine Williams has the fastest time this season in the 50-yard freestyle with her 24.05-second performance at the Pittsburgh Invitational on November 16th. At the same meet, Williams also recorded the fastest time in the 100-yard free (51.77) this season. Sophomore standout Manon van Rooijen recorded the fastest time in the 200 free (1:51.10) in Pittsburgh and holds the fastest time in the 500 free (5:07.30) from the Gator Relays meet in Gainesville on October 20th. Junior Elaine Schwartz has the fastest times in the 1000-yard freestyle (10:33.71) and 400 IM (4:26.38) while sophomore Courtney Caples has the best times in the 100 breast (1:05.70) and 200 breast (2:20.84).

MEN’S TRACK
Senior Jabari Ennis finished sixth in the pole vault with a mark of 4.75 meters (15-07.00) to lead the University of Miami men’s track and field team at the Blue Heaven Track and Field Rumble in Chapel Hill, NC last Saturday. Overall the Hurricanes had three athletes record top-10 finishes. Senior Jeff Gaulrap finished eighth in the 5000-meters (15:19.75) and senior Gus Martin took seventh in the 60-meter hurdles (8.07).

WOMEN’S TRACK
Freshman Lauryn Williams won the 60-meter dash and 200-meter dash, and senior All-American Kareen Clarke won the triple jump to lead the 15th-ranked University of Miami women’s track and field team at the Illinois Women’s Invitational in Champaign, IL last Saturday. Williams, who has the fastest time in the United States and seventh fastest time in the world in the 60-meters this year, took first in the 60-meters with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 7.38. All-American Kareen Clarke recorded her third consecutive meet victory in the triple jump outdistancing her nearest competitor by nearly two feet. Clarke, who has the top jump in the nation this season, registered an NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 12.67 meters (41-07.00). Clarke also finished second in the long jump with a jump of 5.95 meters (19-06.25). Miami dominated the 400-meters taking four of the top five positions. school-record time of 55.30.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...