Sports Briefs

UCONN – 100 ‘Zona – 98 (OT)
Connecticut freshman Emeka Okafor fell a blocked shot shy of a triple-double with 19 points and 15 rebounds and Ben Gordon matched his career-high with 23 as the Huskies (13-4) won their sixth straight, defeating No. 12 Arizona 100-98. Jason Gardner scored 24 of his 30 points in the second half but was scoreless in the overtime for the Wildcats (13-6). Will Bynum missed a wide-open 3-pointer from the baseline for Arizona with two seconds to play in the overtime. Salim Stoudamire, who scored 20 points, made consecutive 3-pointers to start the overtime and gave Arizona a 97-91 lead, but Connecticut outscored the Wildcats 9-1 the rest of the way.

Pitts – 67 G’town – 56
Julius Page scored 16 points and Pittsburgh held Georgetown to 21 second-half points as the Panthers defeated the Hoyas 67-56 Saturday afternoon. The victory gave Pitt (18-3, 6-2 in the Big East) a two-game sweep over Georgetown (12-7, 3-4) for the first time since the Panthers joined the conference during the 1982-83 season. Georgetown held a 35-33 lead at the half but Pitt outscored the Hoyas 14-4 the first 6:23 of the second to take a 47-39 lead. The closest Georgetown would come to the Panthers after that was six points. Pitt managed to extend their lead to as many as 13 points in the second half.

Va. Tech -69 Syracuse – 81
DeShaun Williams helped Syracuse break out of a five-game slump with a career-high 28 points as the No. 10 Orangemen (17-4, 6-1 Big East) struggled past Virginia Tech 81-69 Saturday night. Syracuse had 15 turnovers in the first half and trailed 33-30 at halftime despite holding Tech to 29.6 percent shooting. The game was a struggle until the closing minutes. After Shumpert, who finished with 25 points, hit two free throws to tie it at 37 with 17:07 left, there were seven lead changes in the next 8:30. Perhaps the biggest plays came in succession right before James Thues hit two free throws to give the Orangemen the lead for good, 53-52, with 8:37 left.

P’vidence – 75 St.John’s – 70 (OT)
Maris Laksa had 18 points and 13 rebounds to lead Providence to a 75-70 overtime victory over St. John’s on Saturday night and a sweep of their season series. Christopher Anrin’s two free throws with 49 seconds left in regulation – his only points of the game – gave the Friars a 58-56 lead. Marcus Hatten tied it with a jumper in the lane 19 seconds later. After a Providence turnover with 23 seconds left, Hatten ran the clock down and missed a 15-foot jumper with three seconds left. Providence scored the first four points of the overtime and the Friars extended the lead to 70-62 with 1:24 left on two free throws by Linehan.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...