Smoothie Solutions Where to go for a smoothie fix

Since Miami’s a hotbed, both a tourist trap and an actual hot region, trendy smoothie joints have been popping up in the past few years, cramming for diet-crazed, health-conscious, skinny girl/boy dollars. How does one chose among the various, similar chained smoothie stops, though? Well, here’s a list and a review of each.

Jamba Juice
Probably most close to home, Jamba Juice has become in the past year a campus staple. The waiting is long, the crowds huge, and the smoothies well, smooth. This is definitely one of the better smoothie joints in Miami, with many excellent flavors to chose from. I’d speculate it’s the addition of sherbet to many of the flavors that gives Jamba Juice that extra zing. Also included on Jamba’s menu are health conscious foods such as pretzels, power-bars, and soup – all excellent.

Sun Juice
Very similar to Jamba Juice, Sun Juice is located just past Sunset Place on Sunset Drive. Not exactly as health conscious as Jamba Juice (there’s less “Muscle Power Punch” drinks) yet still as tasty. It’s a worthy competitor, with drinks that taste almost identical to Jamba Juice. Sort of tucked away, Sun Juice is definitely worth a drive.

South Beach Smoothie
A smoothie place as overrated as its moniker, many people have raved about the deliciousness of South Beach Smoothie, yet I beg to disagree. What I tasted was pure, powdery, muscle-driven film. With so much “muscle” powder put into each smoothie, strawberry banana begins tasting like red chalk. Add unoriginal flavors to the mix, and you’ve got one of the worst smoothie joints in the biz.

Smoothie King
Here’s a place somewhere in between-boring and repetitive, yet not as filmy as South Beach Smoothie. While no Jamba Juice, Smoothie King has become a chain across the country. Recently I found out one opened in Providence (of all places). Its “Citrus Squeeze” and “Strawberry Banana” are hard to top (an extra dose of honey completes the flavors). Stay far away from the “specialties” that become muddled, varied, flavor messes.

Dunkin’ Donuts
Well, it’s a doughnut stop, but in the past few years it’s added so many coolatas to its menu to become a smoothie joint as well. The coffee coolata is the best (a frappuccino rip-off, for sure), yet even the fruit flavored ones hold up. Add grade-A doughnuts to wash down each smoothie (I’d recommend the classic jelly), and you’re set.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...