Party continues on UM Green

Rounding off a full day of parading through the streets of Miami for the Hurricanes Rosebowl Championship was the official University of Miami celebration. The festivities were held at the University Green located between the University Center and the Richter Library, Friday night.

The celebration included food, a fireworks display, and a live music performance from Libido.

According to local news reports, an estimated 1500 hardcore fans were present to cheer on the hometown heroes.

“The ticker-tape parade just wasn’t enough for me,” said Jose Davila, a fan from Florida International University. “This [championship]is too big a deal to celebrate with just one party.”

In honor of the event, a stage and television screen were set up to introduce the players and show video clips of the football season’s greatest plays.

A special message from President George W. Bush was also presented to the audience.

In his message, President Bush commended the Miami Hurricanes football team for being a positive influence on the youth of America and for pulling off a perfect season.

He also acknowledged the difficulties they must have endured as a result of having to balance athletics with academics.

“I agree with the President,” said sophomore Lacey Hickle. “It takes a lot of self control and discipline to accomplish what these players have attained”.

“I was very surprised at the President Bush’s speech,” said Maria Gonzalez. “I didn’t expect him to take the time out of his busy schedule to congratulate our school-wait! Now that I think about it, we deserved that!

“Hell, this team deserves to run the whole country themselves!” Gonzalez said.

Among the guest speakers at the event were the mayors of South Miami and Coral Gables, UM alumnus Roy Firestone of ESPN, The Voice of the Hurricanes, Mark Vandermeer, and President Donna E. Shalala.

President Shalala thanked the fans for putting up with the heat of September, the rain of October, and for showing their support in the stands.

“Not only is our team the greatest football team in America,” said President Shalala. “They are the greatest looking”.

“It’s important to remember that this was Coker’s rookie year,” said Jason Kaulffman. “He is only the second coach in history to go undefeated during his rookie season”.

Throughout the celebration, local television stations had live broadcasts, including NBC 6, WSVN 7, CBS 4, Noticiero 51, Telemundo, Eyewitness News 10, and Univision.

Power96 and WQAM News Radio also covered the event.

“I think this is fabulous,” said Tony Segreto of NBC 6. “I’m a proud alumnus of UM and this is great.”

“I’ve been on TV twice,” said Leo Wilson, a 10-year-old Hurricanes’ fan who came to the event with his older sister.

“I feel like a movie star…now I know how the football players feel,” Wilson said. “I’m going to be a ‘Cane when I grow up!”

Most of the fans enjoyed the festivities and were happy to bask in the glory of their team.

“I’ve been following the ‘Canes for 32 years,” said Mary Graulick, a fan at the event. “I’ve gone through all of the coaches along with the team.”

“I was the first person to shake hands with Larry when he stepped off the bus after they arrived from their triumph at the Rose Bowl,” Graulick said.

Coach Coker has thanked the media and community for the support they have given to the team. He said he is looking forward to opening the door on

yet another victorious season.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...