Letter to the Editor

In response to the article written on students and their cell phones while in class, let me say this loud and clear: Huh?? In this land that’s in its own little world, where Gucci shades, Porsche convertibles, and breast implants are as common as the warm weather, you don’t have to be a genius to know that 99% of the calls students get during class are not emergencies. Lets just admit what this is really all about: social calls.
A sorority sister trying to figure out where and with who to eat lunch for the day. A roommate wanting to know which club to go out to that night. Or someone exchanging gossip while standing a whopping fifty feet away. Well God, let me stop the presses! Those are some real can’t-wait crises, huh?
I am glad professors have cracked down on the annoying little gadgets that are cellular phones. Nobody has the right to disrupt an entire class for the sole purpose of social interaction. I couldn’t tell you how many times somebody’s phone has rung during one of my classes, even though they’re supposed to be off, and it totally interrupted the flow of discussion or lecture. No, lectures should and will not wait for somebody’s social life.
So just turn the damn things off or silence the ringer. I understand that sometimes people forget, but I also know that a lot of times they don’t. And with today’s technology, most cell phones come equipped with a vibrating option and caller ID, so if it is really dyer then the student can be notified quietly enough and not disturb the whole class.
I own a cell phone and yes, I sometimes need to take a call, and yes, I’ve forgotten to turn it off before class a couple of times. Hey, we’re human. But there is no way in hell I believe in intentionally letting my personal business interfere with others for the whole hour and fifteen minutes that class lasts. I have too much respect for those who are trying to learn and for the professors who are trying to teach. And my education is just too important to me.
Unfortunately, however, there is the sad realization that there are those here who are treating school like a paid vacation and frankly don’t care. Kudos to professors for taking a stand against this increasingly irritating and abundant abuse of technology. One missed call could ruin a life? Oh, for Godsake, go back to the valley.

Derek Bramble is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...