Letter to the Editor

In response to the article written on students and their cell phones while in class, let me say this loud and clear: Huh?? In this land that’s in its own little world, where Gucci shades, Porsche convertibles, and breast implants are as common as the warm weather, you don’t have to be a genius to know that 99% of the calls students get during class are not emergencies. Lets just admit what this is really all about: social calls.
A sorority sister trying to figure out where and with who to eat lunch for the day. A roommate wanting to know which club to go out to that night. Or someone exchanging gossip while standing a whopping fifty feet away. Well God, let me stop the presses! Those are some real can’t-wait crises, huh?
I am glad professors have cracked down on the annoying little gadgets that are cellular phones. Nobody has the right to disrupt an entire class for the sole purpose of social interaction. I couldn’t tell you how many times somebody’s phone has rung during one of my classes, even though they’re supposed to be off, and it totally interrupted the flow of discussion or lecture. No, lectures should and will not wait for somebody’s social life.
So just turn the damn things off or silence the ringer. I understand that sometimes people forget, but I also know that a lot of times they don’t. And with today’s technology, most cell phones come equipped with a vibrating option and caller ID, so if it is really dyer then the student can be notified quietly enough and not disturb the whole class.
I own a cell phone and yes, I sometimes need to take a call, and yes, I’ve forgotten to turn it off before class a couple of times. Hey, we’re human. But there is no way in hell I believe in intentionally letting my personal business interfere with others for the whole hour and fifteen minutes that class lasts. I have too much respect for those who are trying to learn and for the professors who are trying to teach. And my education is just too important to me.
Unfortunately, however, there is the sad realization that there are those here who are treating school like a paid vacation and frankly don’t care. Kudos to professors for taking a stand against this increasingly irritating and abundant abuse of technology. One missed call could ruin a life? Oh, for Godsake, go back to the valley.

Derek Bramble is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...