Hurricanes avenge last year’s loss

Last season at the Knight Sports Complex, the Miami Hurricanes played possibly their worst game of the year against Rutgers, turning the ball over 33 times in a 39-37 loss. Fortunately for the ‘Canes, Rutgers’ return to Coral Gables brought a slightly different result for the Hurricanes.
Miami avenged last season’s loss to Rutgers, defeating the Scarlet Knights 65-55 on Saturday night. The victory improved the Hurricanes’ record to 13-6 (6-3 Big East), and gave them a two-game sweep in the season series against Rutgers. Head coach Ferne Labati said the victory was attributed to a total team effort.
“The kids worked extremely hard preparing for this ball game the past couple days,” Labati said. “We knew that this was a young team, but a very good team, and we played very well, stopping their penetration and defending their three-pointers.”
Sophomore Chanivia Broussard led the Miami attack with 20 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the field. Broussard attributed her success on offense to her play on defense.
“I tried to stay within the game plan, which was to play hard defense,” said Broussard, who also grabbed six rebounds and added two blocks. “When I was able to play defense, it all came.”
Three other Miami Hurricanes posted double figure scoring totals. Sophomore Shaquana Wilkins, coming off her first Big East Player of the Week Award, scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Another sophomore, Hutashi Wilson, broke out of her scoring slump with 11 points.
The most important performance, however may have come form Sheila James, who earlier this week sported a cast on her right arm. James returned from injury to score 13 points for Miami.
“I wanted to help this team out, and since Martha has been sick, they really needed me out there,” said James, discussing Martha Bodley’s absence. “I worked on my shot all week and I’m glad that it worked out tonight.”
James hit two key three-pointers in the second half, helping Miami outscore Rutgers 41-34 in the final 20 minutes. Labati was pleased not only to see James back in the lineup, but also to see her 5-5 senior put some points on the scoreboard.
“Shelia has a lot of game experience so we needed her to help our guard play,” Labati said. “She came in and did some real nice things out there.”
Miami played one of its best overall games of the season, shooting a sizzling 46 percent from the field while holding the Knights to just 37 percent shooting. The Hurricanes also forced 25 Rutgers turnovers and hit 12 of their 18 second half free throws.
Miami will need to keep up its solid play if they want to come out with a victory tonight at Villanova, a game James says is very important.
“We need to beat Villanova so that we can get closer to accomplishing our goal, which is locking up a top three spot and a first-round bye in the (Big East) Tournament,” James said.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...