Culture

Entertainment News

Country music’s savior, Alan Jackson, ended Creed’s eight-week hold on top of the album charts with his new album Drive, debuting with sales of 423,000. Jackson is riding on the success of his hit single Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning), which gives a Southern perspective on the Sept. 11 tragedies.

Martin Lawrence and Will Smith are readying to star in a sequel to their hit action film Bad Boys. The movie will boast a much larger budget than its predecessor, while the primary story line will remain in Miami.

And the sequels continue…Rumors are abound that Boogie Nights 2 is nearing a reality, with Rollergirl, played by actress Heather Graham, making it big in the 1980s porn business. Actress Juilanne Moore is also scheduled to return, while Mark Wahlberg and his d*** will apparently not.

Music critics and 18 elite photographers from around the world have voted a picture of Clash bassist Paul Simonon destroying his guitar as the top rock ‘n’ roll photo of all time. The photo (above) was taken in 1979 by photographer Pennie Smith and graces the cover of the group’s album London Calling.

Fans of That 70s Show tuned in identical numbers for the debut of the retro sitcom’s younger sibling That 80s Show. The show attracted more teen and adult viewers than any program in its time slot last Wednesday, giving Fox its second hit new comedy of the season after Bernie Mac.

Actress Kim Delaney, formerly of NYPD Blue and now the star of ABC’s Philly was arrested by the LAPD last Saturday night for suspicion of drunk driving and refusing to take a blood alcohol test.

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...