The Indie Scene in Miami

Though people complain the music scene in Miami is all about Gucci flip-flops, Italian hair gel and the latest from Oakie and cohorts, the small indie electronic music scene is thriving in Miami.
Miami Bass lives on with the help of dedicated djs and the venues that support the scene, though ensconced within the urban sprawl, are teeming with intelligent alternative life. Just venture into South Beach’s Tanja on a Thursday to ease some of that jungle fix. The temperature at FM (Two Last Shoes) on Friday reaches triple digit category with the eclectic sounds of jungle and local bass, courtesy of top-notch djs who spin the music from a booth upstairs. One can also chill downstairs with some rare grooves and hip hop.
Poplife (Piccadilly Gardens) brings a gamut of local and foreign talent. Miami, host city of the Winter Music Conference and all its ,uberfamous djs, has a steady load of high-caliber but unsung djs from the US, UK and Europe. FM recently had Silicon Scally. Revolver also presents some nice surprises. Local acts Push Button Objects and Secret Frequency Crew recently performed there, as have a number of indie rock bands from in and out of state.
Revolver and Poplife are the kinds of places where one would go to assuage that nostalgia for the music of the 1980s and 1990s. On a good night, one can hear Human League, Billy Idol, The Smiths, Duran Duran, Soft Cell, and the usual suspects, as well as newer acts that wear out the needles on everyone’s record player, like Radiohead, the Gorillaz and the Strokes.
Speaking of the Strokes, their concert at BillboardLive is sold out, proof that Miami is ready for some real deal acts. One can also find an ample supply of information on the rave scene on the Internet. Though demand is stronger north of the county (in Ft. Lauderdale), Miami surprises sometimes. Miami-based DJ Craze is a household name, a reference for anyone who aspires to master the art of the “turntables and a mixer”.
Dozens of talented scratchers, such as DJ Marky- renowned London-based Brazilian junglist of the Movement crew- packed the Sci-Fly party on Jan. 19. So instead of complaining, whining that Miami is a musical wasteland, a bore next to Brooklyn and San Francisco, scope out the scene, and do something to improve it-much like the talented folk who are thriving in town.

Mauricio Vieira is a public relations graduate student in the School of Communication.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...