The Indie Scene in Miami

Though people complain the music scene in Miami is all about Gucci flip-flops, Italian hair gel and the latest from Oakie and cohorts, the small indie electronic music scene is thriving in Miami.
Miami Bass lives on with the help of dedicated djs and the venues that support the scene, though ensconced within the urban sprawl, are teeming with intelligent alternative life. Just venture into South Beach’s Tanja on a Thursday to ease some of that jungle fix. The temperature at FM (Two Last Shoes) on Friday reaches triple digit category with the eclectic sounds of jungle and local bass, courtesy of top-notch djs who spin the music from a booth upstairs. One can also chill downstairs with some rare grooves and hip hop.
Poplife (Piccadilly Gardens) brings a gamut of local and foreign talent. Miami, host city of the Winter Music Conference and all its ,uberfamous djs, has a steady load of high-caliber but unsung djs from the US, UK and Europe. FM recently had Silicon Scally. Revolver also presents some nice surprises. Local acts Push Button Objects and Secret Frequency Crew recently performed there, as have a number of indie rock bands from in and out of state.
Revolver and Poplife are the kinds of places where one would go to assuage that nostalgia for the music of the 1980s and 1990s. On a good night, one can hear Human League, Billy Idol, The Smiths, Duran Duran, Soft Cell, and the usual suspects, as well as newer acts that wear out the needles on everyone’s record player, like Radiohead, the Gorillaz and the Strokes.
Speaking of the Strokes, their concert at BillboardLive is sold out, proof that Miami is ready for some real deal acts. One can also find an ample supply of information on the rave scene on the Internet. Though demand is stronger north of the county (in Ft. Lauderdale), Miami surprises sometimes. Miami-based DJ Craze is a household name, a reference for anyone who aspires to master the art of the “turntables and a mixer”.
Dozens of talented scratchers, such as DJ Marky- renowned London-based Brazilian junglist of the Movement crew- packed the Sci-Fly party on Jan. 19. So instead of complaining, whining that Miami is a musical wasteland, a bore next to Brooklyn and San Francisco, scope out the scene, and do something to improve it-much like the talented folk who are thriving in town.

Mauricio Vieira is a public relations graduate student in the School of Communication.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...