The Indie Scene in Miami

Though people complain the music scene in Miami is all about Gucci flip-flops, Italian hair gel and the latest from Oakie and cohorts, the small indie electronic music scene is thriving in Miami.
Miami Bass lives on with the help of dedicated djs and the venues that support the scene, though ensconced within the urban sprawl, are teeming with intelligent alternative life. Just venture into South Beach’s Tanja on a Thursday to ease some of that jungle fix. The temperature at FM (Two Last Shoes) on Friday reaches triple digit category with the eclectic sounds of jungle and local bass, courtesy of top-notch djs who spin the music from a booth upstairs. One can also chill downstairs with some rare grooves and hip hop.
Poplife (Piccadilly Gardens) brings a gamut of local and foreign talent. Miami, host city of the Winter Music Conference and all its ,uberfamous djs, has a steady load of high-caliber but unsung djs from the US, UK and Europe. FM recently had Silicon Scally. Revolver also presents some nice surprises. Local acts Push Button Objects and Secret Frequency Crew recently performed there, as have a number of indie rock bands from in and out of state.
Revolver and Poplife are the kinds of places where one would go to assuage that nostalgia for the music of the 1980s and 1990s. On a good night, one can hear Human League, Billy Idol, The Smiths, Duran Duran, Soft Cell, and the usual suspects, as well as newer acts that wear out the needles on everyone’s record player, like Radiohead, the Gorillaz and the Strokes.
Speaking of the Strokes, their concert at BillboardLive is sold out, proof that Miami is ready for some real deal acts. One can also find an ample supply of information on the rave scene on the Internet. Though demand is stronger north of the county (in Ft. Lauderdale), Miami surprises sometimes. Miami-based DJ Craze is a household name, a reference for anyone who aspires to master the art of the “turntables and a mixer”.
Dozens of talented scratchers, such as DJ Marky- renowned London-based Brazilian junglist of the Movement crew- packed the Sci-Fly party on Jan. 19. So instead of complaining, whining that Miami is a musical wasteland, a bore next to Brooklyn and San Francisco, scope out the scene, and do something to improve it-much like the talented folk who are thriving in town.

Mauricio Vieira is a public relations graduate student in the School of Communication.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...