Tennis teams look to build on rankings

By
Hurricane Sports Writer

Members of the University of Miami’s men’s and women’s tennis teams enjoyed a successful individual meet season, which concluded last November. Now, the real thing is about to begin.
The men’s squad, ranked No. 18 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, kicked off the dual meet season yesterday against Florida Atlantic and continue with a match against South Alabama on Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The 37th ranked women’s team kicks off their season tonight at 6:00, as they play host to FAU.
The expectations are high for a men’s squad that finished the 2000-2001 campaign with a 21-4 record and a No. 11 national ranking. Head coach Jay Berger has six of last year’s nine letterwinners returning, including an excellent senior trio of Jose Lieberman, Tomas Smid, and Tarik El Bassiouni.
Much of the attention, however, may be directed towards freshman phenom Todd Widom, who is one of three newcomers on the team. Widom posted a 9-2 mark during the fall season, which included an appearance at the quarterfinals of the ITA Regional Championships back in October.
The men’s squad certainly has enough players to pose a threat for NCAA contention, but first, they need to get through another challenging schedule. Miami travels to Tallahassee in February for a meeting with their hated in-state rivals. Other challenging road matches include SMU and Duke, the squad which knocked Miami out of the NCAA tournament last season. The NCAA Championships kick off on May 18 at College Station, Texas.
On the women’s side, the 2001-2002 season also carries a positive outlook. Miami finished 15-9 last season, good enough for second in the Big East before bowing out in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The Hurricanes return seven members of the 2000-2001 team, including senior Marcy Hora and junior Lauren Scaglione.
The women’s squad is also bolstered by the addition of three newcomers, including sophomore transfer Marcy Tora, who is ranked No. 69 in the nation.
The women’s home schedule includes matches against in-state rival Florida, as well as Virginia and Boston College. The road schedule includes dates with TCU, Michigan, and Notre Dame.
This weekend is a springboard for both teams to advance on the success of a season ago.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...