Student claims discrimination

It was the job of her dreams; until it started.
Sophomore Nicole Pytel, 19, is suing the school for alleged sexual discrimination and harassment on the job while she worked as equipment manager for the football team from August 2000 until February 2001.
Pytel was removed from her job last February nearly one hour after filing a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission [EEOC].
According to the suit, several attempts to ask her former boss, Bobby Revilla, to stop coworkers’ “disgusting and offensive” behavior went unheard.
Revilla told the Hurricane there’s more to the story than the 51-page lawsuit illustrates, but declined to comment further.
University spokeswoman Margot Winick said Pytel was offered another job shortly after losing her job at the equipment room.
As far as the charges against the school, “we don’t discuss pending litigation,” said Winick.
According to the plaintiff, male equipment managers frequently commented on the size of her breasts, told her she should wear thong panties and simulated masturbation while following her around the field.
During a Rutgers road trip, Pytel alleges Revilla embarrassed her in front of the staff by suggesting “maybe if we get you to drink something, you will tell us what you and Mark [her boyfriend]have done in bed.”
Revilla referred to Pytel and a colleague Lisa Klein as “helpers,” rather than “managers” according to the lawsuit Pytel filed.
Furthermore, the suit claims the two female equipment managers got paid less than their male counterparts who were assigned more stringent tasks.
Klein declined to comment on Pytel’s allegations or the time the two worked at the equipment room.
“I’m still working there, and I’m extremely happy with my job,” Klein told the Hurricane.
Pay was also an issue. Pytel claims she was making half of what one male student working the same post earned.
“He [Revilla] explained there was no set amount one could get paid, and that pay was at his discretion based upon how he felt about the person doing the job,” according to the suit.
When matters worsened during a trip to New Orleans, which Pytel described as “probably the worst week of her life,” she approached team chaplain Beau Jones for help.
On New Years Eve, 2000, Pytel’s parents faxed a note to Revilla that read: “Harassment must stop. Legal Protection pending for both girls.”
On Feb. 23, 2001 the plaintiff’s attorney faxed the university a copy of the EEOC charge of discrimination.
Forty-six minutes later UM responded saying she was being removed from her job, and would be placed at another position upon returning to school, according to Pytel’s lawsuit.
That promise was not kept, according to Jane Pytel, Nicole’s mother, who told the Hurricane an initial offer to get hired as a work-study at the School of Communication fell through because the sum of financial and scholarship aid Nicole was receiving made her ineligible for the position.
“She’s been going through living hell,” she told the Hurricane. “On the other hand, she felt this is a story that needs to be told.”
No date has been set for trial as yet.

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

It’s a rule Miami Hurricanes freshman defensive tackle Nesta Silvera knew about already. But in no w ...

A quick update from University of Miami football practice No. 8, two days after the first fall scrim ...

That dangerous University of Miami defense that dominated last season? Still dominating — the first- ...

Please don’t call DeeJay Dallas a running back. On second thought, you can call him a running back, ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...