Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S GOLF

University of Miami head women’s golf coach Lela Cannon was inducted into the National Golf Coaches Association Hall of Fame at the annual Hall of Fame Banquet on Wednesday, January 23 at the Sheridan World Resort in Orlando, FL. Cannon, entering her 19th season, has led the Hurricanes to 15 NCAA Tournament berths, six NCAA top-10 finishes and the 1984 National Championship. She has coached eight NCAA All-Americans including Tracy Kerdyk, the 1988 NCAA Player of the Year, and sent eight players onto the LPGA tour. Cannon’s student-athletes have been just as successful in the classroom. In 1986, Jill Briles became the first Academic All-American in women’s golf at UM. Joye McAvoy earned Academic All-America honors in 1988, and Shannon Hammel became the first Hurricane to earn Academic All-American honors two consecutive seasons in 1991 and 1992. Shayne Wild would better Hammel’s mark being named to the Academic All-America team in three consecutive seasons (1997, 1998, 1999). Cannon, a two-time South Region Coach of the Year, was featured in the book, Celebrating Women’s Coaches, A Biographical Dictionary. The book, which was released in 2001, profiles 42 of the world’s top female coaches.

WOMEN’S TRACK

The University of Miami women’s track and field team moved up to No. 16 in the Trackwire Online Top 25 rankings released Tuesday. The Hurricanes, who debuted at No. 25 in last week’s preseason poll, jumped nine spots after a strong showing at the Carolina Elite Invitational in Chapel Hill, NC. Freshman Lauryn Williams won for the second straight week posting the fastest time in the nation in the 60-meters (7.35). Williams set a UM record in winning the 55-meters at last weekend’s Florida Intercollegiate. She is currently the NCAA’s No. 1 ranked sprinter in the 60-meter dash. Senior All-American Kareen Clarke was also impressive in winning the triple jump with a leap of 12.91 meters (42-04.25). Clarke is undefeated in the triple jump this season. The defending Big East Champion, Clarke ranks No. 1 in the NCAA in the event. Miami’s 4×400-meter relay of senior Wylleseia Myrick, junior Saraque Whittaker, Jenise Winston and Jamillah Wade were also victorious at the Carolina Invitational winning with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 3:43.30

WOMEN’S

BASKETBALL

Sophomore Shaquana Wilkins won her first Big East honor after averaging 20.5 points and 10.5 rebounds in a pair of conference wins for the Miami women’s basketball team. Wilkins earned Big East Player of the Week after scoring a career-high 26 points on 11-of-17 field goals and added 10 rebounds off of the bench in a 75-71 overtime victory against Syracuse. In a 56-54 win over Seton Hall, Wilkins netted 15 points to go along with 11 rebounds, three blocks and three steals. Wilkins averages 7.7 points and 4.9 rebounds per game for the Hurricanes.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...