Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S GOLF

University of Miami head women’s golf coach Lela Cannon was inducted into the National Golf Coaches Association Hall of Fame at the annual Hall of Fame Banquet on Wednesday, January 23 at the Sheridan World Resort in Orlando, FL. Cannon, entering her 19th season, has led the Hurricanes to 15 NCAA Tournament berths, six NCAA top-10 finishes and the 1984 National Championship. She has coached eight NCAA All-Americans including Tracy Kerdyk, the 1988 NCAA Player of the Year, and sent eight players onto the LPGA tour. Cannon’s student-athletes have been just as successful in the classroom. In 1986, Jill Briles became the first Academic All-American in women’s golf at UM. Joye McAvoy earned Academic All-America honors in 1988, and Shannon Hammel became the first Hurricane to earn Academic All-American honors two consecutive seasons in 1991 and 1992. Shayne Wild would better Hammel’s mark being named to the Academic All-America team in three consecutive seasons (1997, 1998, 1999). Cannon, a two-time South Region Coach of the Year, was featured in the book, Celebrating Women’s Coaches, A Biographical Dictionary. The book, which was released in 2001, profiles 42 of the world’s top female coaches.

WOMEN’S TRACK

The University of Miami women’s track and field team moved up to No. 16 in the Trackwire Online Top 25 rankings released Tuesday. The Hurricanes, who debuted at No. 25 in last week’s preseason poll, jumped nine spots after a strong showing at the Carolina Elite Invitational in Chapel Hill, NC. Freshman Lauryn Williams won for the second straight week posting the fastest time in the nation in the 60-meters (7.35). Williams set a UM record in winning the 55-meters at last weekend’s Florida Intercollegiate. She is currently the NCAA’s No. 1 ranked sprinter in the 60-meter dash. Senior All-American Kareen Clarke was also impressive in winning the triple jump with a leap of 12.91 meters (42-04.25). Clarke is undefeated in the triple jump this season. The defending Big East Champion, Clarke ranks No. 1 in the NCAA in the event. Miami’s 4×400-meter relay of senior Wylleseia Myrick, junior Saraque Whittaker, Jenise Winston and Jamillah Wade were also victorious at the Carolina Invitational winning with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 3:43.30

WOMEN’S

BASKETBALL

Sophomore Shaquana Wilkins won her first Big East honor after averaging 20.5 points and 10.5 rebounds in a pair of conference wins for the Miami women’s basketball team. Wilkins earned Big East Player of the Week after scoring a career-high 26 points on 11-of-17 field goals and added 10 rebounds off of the bench in a 75-71 overtime victory against Syracuse. In a 56-54 win over Seton Hall, Wilkins netted 15 points to go along with 11 rebounds, three blocks and three steals. Wilkins averages 7.7 points and 4.9 rebounds per game for the Hurricanes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...