Dr. M. Lewis Temares receives recognition

When Computerworld Magazine published its list of the top 100 IT leaders for 2002, no one who worked with UM’s Dean Lew Temares was surprised to see his name listed.
Dr. M. Lewis Temares, vice-president of Information Technology for the University of Miami and eight-year dean of the college of engineering, was also featured in a half-page article in Computerworld’s Jan. 2, 2002 issue.
Temares has been working as an IT leader at UM since 1983 when he set up a long range information system for the University, that is, the EASY system and other online campus tools that allowed teachers to post grades, homework, and updates about the University.
He is also responsible for having Ethernet and fiber-optic connections throughout the campus, giving students access to the Internet almost anywhere on campus.
“Our philosophy is that a student should be able to communicate electronically anywhere, anytime, to enhance their education,” he said.
The top 100 leaders were separated into five categories: Diplomats, Coaches, Innovators, Visionaries, and Strategists.
Dr. Temares is a strategist, known for “devising and implementing a well-thought-through plan”, wrote Computerworld Magazine.
A supposed weakness of strategists is a lack of concern for the individual and for quality of relationships.
Apparently, Dr. Temares does not fall into Computerworld’s typical weakness for Strategists.
When asked what characteristics he thinks are most important in a leader, he replied, “Appreciating your staff and nurturing them, having good focus, and crisis management skills.”
“Cost effective working and complete knowledge of your field also help,” Temares added.
Temares and his team also came out under their $15 million budget on their project to make ethernet and fiber-optic connections available on campus, a virtually unheard-of accomplishment.
“Keep all options open, in the least costly way.” he advised.
What other advice does this exceptional director have for up-and-coming leaders?
Number one: Never forget how important people are.
“Remember, the customer puts food on your dinner table. If you aren’t servicing someone, don’t expect to get paid.”
Secondly, value quality production over speed or flashiness.
“We don’t want to be the bleeding edge, but we absolutely want to be the leading edge.”
And lastly, surround yourself with good people.
“Hire people who can do the job better than you could. Don’t be afraid of smart people. They’ll make you look good.”
So what are the Dean’s plans now that he’s been named a superhero among the IT leaders?
“Follow Donna Shalala.” he said. “She has so many good ideas, I can’t help but like to work with her.”
President Shalala in return said that Dean Temares is not only a strategist, but an excellent diplomat.
Dean Temares was not expecting the Premier 100 IT Leaders Award, but was pleasantly surprised to receive it.
“It wasn’t my success,” he amended. “It was the success of my team, of all the people I work with.”
He will be honored in March for his technological and leadership accomplishments.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...