Dr. M. Lewis Temares receives recognition

When Computerworld Magazine published its list of the top 100 IT leaders for 2002, no one who worked with UM’s Dean Lew Temares was surprised to see his name listed.
Dr. M. Lewis Temares, vice-president of Information Technology for the University of Miami and eight-year dean of the college of engineering, was also featured in a half-page article in Computerworld’s Jan. 2, 2002 issue.
Temares has been working as an IT leader at UM since 1983 when he set up a long range information system for the University, that is, the EASY system and other online campus tools that allowed teachers to post grades, homework, and updates about the University.
He is also responsible for having Ethernet and fiber-optic connections throughout the campus, giving students access to the Internet almost anywhere on campus.
“Our philosophy is that a student should be able to communicate electronically anywhere, anytime, to enhance their education,” he said.
The top 100 leaders were separated into five categories: Diplomats, Coaches, Innovators, Visionaries, and Strategists.
Dr. Temares is a strategist, known for “devising and implementing a well-thought-through plan”, wrote Computerworld Magazine.
A supposed weakness of strategists is a lack of concern for the individual and for quality of relationships.
Apparently, Dr. Temares does not fall into Computerworld’s typical weakness for Strategists.
When asked what characteristics he thinks are most important in a leader, he replied, “Appreciating your staff and nurturing them, having good focus, and crisis management skills.”
“Cost effective working and complete knowledge of your field also help,” Temares added.
Temares and his team also came out under their $15 million budget on their project to make ethernet and fiber-optic connections available on campus, a virtually unheard-of accomplishment.
“Keep all options open, in the least costly way.” he advised.
What other advice does this exceptional director have for up-and-coming leaders?
Number one: Never forget how important people are.
“Remember, the customer puts food on your dinner table. If you aren’t servicing someone, don’t expect to get paid.”
Secondly, value quality production over speed or flashiness.
“We don’t want to be the bleeding edge, but we absolutely want to be the leading edge.”
And lastly, surround yourself with good people.
“Hire people who can do the job better than you could. Don’t be afraid of smart people. They’ll make you look good.”
So what are the Dean’s plans now that he’s been named a superhero among the IT leaders?
“Follow Donna Shalala.” he said. “She has so many good ideas, I can’t help but like to work with her.”
President Shalala in return said that Dean Temares is not only a strategist, but an excellent diplomat.
Dean Temares was not expecting the Premier 100 IT Leaders Award, but was pleasantly surprised to receive it.
“It wasn’t my success,” he amended. “It was the success of my team, of all the people I work with.”
He will be honored in March for his technological and leadership accomplishments.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...