Queen for a Day

The Ford Commitment to Kids Award was recently awarded to UM student, Jenna Edwards, Founder and President of Queen For a Day, a program that hosts tea parties and donates tiaras to terminally ill children throughout the United States.
Edwards, who has 13 years of pageant experience, is a Communication Studies and English major at UM.
The Queen For a Day program began in June 2000 after Edwards’ mother, Debbie, suggested the idea in her hometown of Jackson, Mississippi.
Since then, Queen For a Day has become a nationally recognized non-profit organization with chapters in Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Jackson, and Miami. Each chapter is run by area directors who work in close contact with Edwards.
There are approximately 50 chapters in Jackson, Mississippi, and 25 in Miami-that is, a total of 75 terminally ill children have received a tiara and a tea party.
“I believe this program has the potential to be a huge philanthropic endeavor that encompasses many cities and communities throughout the nation,” said Edwards.
Edwards has received a large response from pageant winners throughout the country who have donated their tiaras via Internet postings and word of mouth.
“It was a great idea to post announcements on the web,’ said Edwards. “The response has been incredible”.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...