Involvement Fair sparks interest

This semester’ Spring Involvement Fair last Thursday took place under an unseasonably hot sun and attracted a large number of inquiring students despite the fact that it was not heavily promoted.

In fact, except for the students in charge of running their clubs’ booths, few students knew that the fair was taking place, and even less planned on attending the event. However, although not well publicized around campus, the Hip-Hop Club was more than willing to inform any passers-by that something big was going on.

Student DJs, Chaos, Dick Dickerson, and DJ Nebulous made musical contributions on the turntables. Their heart-pounding sounds could be heard from the far side of campus. In between musical sets, club founder, Lenny “White Russian” Kagan, took control of the microphone, free-styling and promoting the club’s independently produced CD.

“Despite a few minor problems, the fair went very well,” said Leslie Brown, coordinator of the event.

Brown spearheaded the fair for the Committee on Student Organizations (COSO), and has been organizing “pretty much since last semester’s involvement fair.”

“My biggest challenge was making sure everyone showed up,” Brown said. “The only real complaint by any of the present clubs regarded the absence of what they thought was enough campus-wide promotion.”

Only a few of the student organizations failed to show up, but everyone who did had a good time, feasting on free popcorn, snow cones, cotton candy, and pizza.

The Big Cheese, a sponsor of the event, was savvy enough to donate hundreds of slices of its pizza to ensure that everyone was well fed, while promoting the fun.

Once the music and the promise of free food drew students to the patio, the clubs were now under the gun to do their parts in attracting potential members to their tables, and to their causes.

Groups such as Bacchus, Golden Key, the Equestrian Club, ROTC, and the Hillel Student Organization offered everything from condoms to smoothies.

New single-focused (specialized) clubs, such as the Paraguay Student Association (PSA), had their first opportunity at the fair to present themselves.

The PSA is one of a handful of new clubs, looking for students to get involved in university life this semester.

Club leaders reported excellent recruitment numbers and expressed excitement in a promising semester ahead.

With the exception of a few minor glitches, the Spring Involvement Fair was a huge success.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...