Best Albums of 2001

1. The Strokes:
‘Is This It?’
The debut from this New York City band has brought back the hope in the rock and rollers’ heart that the future of music is here. Surrounded by well deserved hype and supported by stand out tracks such as Barely Legal and the first single Last Nite, The Strokes bring back the raw power of old school rock and roll and punk with a fresh new twist.

2. Ryan Adams: ‘Gold’

For a couple of years, this North Carolina alt country rocker has been making classy albums fronting his former band Whiskeytown, but the release of this album finally brings him directly to a wider audience. With charisma, poetic lyrics and immeasurable musical aptitude, Adams captivates, impresses, and romances even the most cynical. Songs like New York, New York and Somehow, Someday provide folk rock smart enough for the mind, yet soft enough for the soul.

3. Bob Dylan:
‘Love and Theft’

4. Bjork: ‘Vespertine’

Another instant classic by music’s most daring female artist. An almost immaculate collection of songs that combine Bjork’s piercing vocals and unique electronic vision with a beautiful feel.

5. New Order:
‘Get Ready’
It’s a general misconception that dance-electronic music cannot be smart and creative, and be fun at the same time. Old school New Wavers bring dance music for the thinking man.

6. Rufus Wainwright:
‘Poses’

He has been described to Jeff Buckley on the piano, and this sophomore effort proves that the comparison is not too farfetched. Few current artists evoke so much profound emotion in most part due to a blessed operatic voice and biographical lyrics.

7. Stephen Malkmus:
‘Stephen Malkmus’

8. Manu Chao Proxima :
‘Estacion: Esperanza’

On his own, the multi-lingual former frontman for Mano Negra, has been able to combine African and Caribbean reggae sounds with synthesizers and to make world music intelligent and accessible enough for everyone.

9. O Brother Where
Art Thou?
Soundtrack
The movie by the Coen Brothers single-handedly brought back the roots of popular music back to America. Legends like Stanley Brothers coupled with more contemporary singers like Allison Krauss and Emmylou Harris make bluegrass, gospel, hobo and folk music for a new, more patriotic nation.

10. Jimmy Eat World:
‘Bleed American’

Runners up: Gorillaz Gorrilaz, Pete Yorn Musicforthemorningafter, White Stripes White Blood Cells, Tool Lateralus.

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

It started as a large, plain white wall. It's become a conversation piece. ...

The Hurricanes continue their non-conference homestand on Sunday, November 17 when they host the IUP ...

Miami volleyball forced its third straight five-set match on Friday against NC State, but fell short ...

Dylan Sykes and Emma Langlois, leaders of the Miami cross county program, concluded the 2019 season ...

Following a win in its first road game of the season, the Miami men's basketball team will resu ...