What if NFL fails?

So you win the national championship. Is that the end of the line?

It is a wonderful accomplishment especially for a team, a school, which has been through so much in the last five years. But how can some say that it is the end of the road?

Juniors’ Jeremy Shockey, Clinton Portis, and Phillip Buchanon said this victory is the pinnacle of their entire college career. In fact, the exact words said to a CNNSI reporter on Jan. 6, 2002 were: “There isn’t much more I can do in college.” These words, which came from Portis, our star running back, greatly upset me. Not only does Miami lose three incredibly talented players, but it also seems as though seniors of the recent past have made no impact on the minds of their fellow players. Is it no longer the pinnacle of a college career to complete the education, to obtain a diploma, to stand there at the end and know that you did not sell yourself short by choosing money over an education? And is it still not understood that football does not last forever, that things can happen beyond your control, and when all is said and done it is crucial and rewarding to have that piece of paper framed saying you received a college degree?

Apparently someone forgot to tell our players that the NFL is not going to cease to exist at the end of next fiscal year, and that the millions will still be there if they were to wait it out and graduate. In this past NFL season we saw two of Miami’s past starters, Dan Morgan and Santana Moss, benched for almost half a season with injuries. At least they had the security of knowing that if it were all to end right then and there they had a diploma to vouch for their education, a safety net they could fall back on. Maybe it is not good enough for these three players to know that for the past five years their teammates have clawed their way back to the top, and that seniors have stayed for their final year to make sure they kept this team going.

Maybe the millions are more alluring than that piece of paper all of us common students hold in such high regard. But then again, I guess everyone has their list of priorities. Unfortunately it does not seem that Shockey, Portis, or Buchanon consider a college degree one of theirs.

Denise Kolb is a sophomore majoring in criminology.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...