Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD

The Miami men’s and women’s track teams competed at the Florida Intercollegiates Meet at the University of Florida in Gainesville last Saturday. The event featured athletes from UM, Florida, Florida State, UCF, South Florida, Bethune-Cookman, FIU, Florida A&M, North Florida and Jacksonville. Lauryn Williams won the women’s 55-meter dash and broke the school record with a NCAA provisional qualifying time of 6.87. The Miami women return to competition at the North Carolina Invitational at Chapel Hill, N.C. on January 18th-19th. The men’s team next competes in the North Carolina Invitational on January 25th-26th.

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The Miami women’s and men’s swim teams lost to Clemson and Rutgers at the Norman Whitten Pool on Saturday, January 5th. Clemson defeated the men’s team 127-43 and the women’s team 133-68. Rutgers defeated the men’s team 151-37 and the women’s team 112-89. Senior Wesley Stoddard won the men’s 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:42.85. Stoddard also captured first in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:39.84. Sophomore Manon van Rooijen took first in the women’s 100-yard freestyle (52.18) with Erin Johns finishing fifth (53.78), Heather Soloman (Getzville, N.Y.) ninth (56.37) and Josie Huffman 12th (57.80). Van Rooijen took second in the women’s 200-yard freestyle (1:53.49) with Samantha Caetano of Rutgers won the event with a time of 1:52.13. Junior Christine Williams finished second in the women’s 50-yard freestyle (24.16). Freshman Kristy MacLennan finished second in the women’s 200-yard butterfly (2:05.84) and third in the 200-yard IM (2:10.19). Sophomore Courtney Caples took third place in the women’s 200-yard breaststroke (2:25.58). In the relay events, Miami (3:32.14) finished second behind Clemson (3:31.93) in the women’s 400-yard freestyle and third in the 400-yard Medley (3:57.96) behind Clemson (3:54.86) and Rutgers (3:56.22). Miami’s swim teams return to action on January 19th in Jacksonville in a meet with North Florida and the College of Charleston.

SOCCER

University of Miami soccer player Lisa Gomez started for the Mexican national team in a match against the United States on Saturday, Jan. 12 at Blackbaud Stadium in Charleston, S.C. Gomez, a junior defender, played the entire match broadcasted live on ESPN 2 in a losing cause as the Mexicans fell 7-0 to the defending World Cup Champions. Gomez was recently named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America All-South Third Team after leading the Hurricanes to their first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance. She finished the season with four goals, three assists and 11 points. She scored the game-winning goal in Miami’s 3-0 shutout victory over Florida Atlantic (Sept. 4, 2001).

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...