Revamped secondary, tough road schedule await UM

At the Rose Bowl post game press conference, UM coach Larry Coker quipped that he was returning for the 2002 season amidst speculation of some early Hurricane entries into the NFL Draft.

Not everyone wanted to follow suit.

Cornerback Phillip Buchanon, Running back Clinton Portis and tight end Jeremy Shockey – all juniors – decided to forgo their senior year of eligibility, instead opting for the riches of the NFL.

Buchanon and Shockey both figure to be first round selections, while Portis may be chosen in the second or third round.

“What else can I do,” said Portis, who ran for 1200 yards and averaged 5.5 yards per carry in his first season as the Hurricanes’ featured back.

Buchanon did everything he could do this year – literally – ranking seventh nationally in punt returns average at 14.97 yards per return, while compiling 23 tackles (15 solos), two tackles for losses (22 yards), one quarterback sack (17 yards). He also broke up seven passes, while preventing any receiver from catching a touchdown pass.

Shockey led the Hurricanes in receptions this season with 40 catches for 519 yards and seven touchdowns. He was Dorsey’s main target this season, utilizing his speed and large hands to exploit opposing defenses.

The Hurricanes will have a hard time replacing the three juniors as well as nine senior starters, but Coker warned not to discount the abundance of talent at UM.

“It’s been my goal to compete at a national level,” Coker said. “Year in and year out, we should compete at a high level at the University of Miami.”

The ‘Canes will try to defend their title against the likes of Florida and Tennessee on the road and Florida State and Virginia Tech at home.

Quarterback Ken Dorsey will be back for his senior campaign to lead an offense that put up 475 points in 2001. Dorsey won’t have the luxury of 3/5 of arguably the best offensive line in the nation. Tackles Bryant McKinnie and Joaquin Gonzalez as well as guard Martin Bibla all figure to be taken in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft. The line allowed Dorsey to be sacked only four times this past season.

“We’ve got a lot of young guys who played a lot this year,” McKinnie said. “They should be fine.”

Carlos Joseph will likely replace McKinnie, while Vernon Carey is expected to fill in for Gonzalez. Brett Romberg will be back at center but might move over to right guard. Left guard Ed Wilkins, who started the final five games, could fill in at right guard, while Sherko Haji-Rasouli, who started the first seven games, is expected to make a full recovery from a season-ending knee injury.

The receiving corps looks pretty much intact with Daryl Jones the only departing senior. Andre Johnson, Kevin Beard, Ethenic Sands, and Jason Geathers are Dorsey’s returning targets.

The backfield loses its starters with Portis and Najeh Davenport, but should be fine with the emergence of Frank Gore and Willis McGahee. Red-shirt freshman Quadtrine Hill should see plenty of time as well.

On defense, the front seven will be identical to the package Hurricane fans saw in the Rose Bowl. Chris Campbell graduates, but Howard Clark looks primed to take his place. William Joseph returns for his senior campaign on a line that exudes experience. Returning starters Andrew Williams, Matt Walters, Joseph and Jerome McDougle as well as Jamaal Green and Cornelius Green will all be seniors.

The biggest question mark for the ‘Canes is its secondary, which will feature four new starters. Gone are Mike Rumph, Buchanon, James Lewis and Ed Reed – a group that helped Miami lead the nation in takeaways. Reed will be especially missed because of the leadership and emotions he displayed on the field as well as in the locker room.

Al Marshall, Antrel Rolle, Maurice Sikes and Sean Taylor are the new generation with Marshall, a junior-to-be, having the most experience. They all had the opportunity to play in fourth quarters this season, but Marshall played in nickel packages as well.

Despite losing almost half of the starting lineup, the Hurricanes are ready to defend the crown they worked so hard to earn. The 2002 ‘Canes may look young, but what they lack in experience they make up with in talent.

“With a program like Miami, we reload,” Rumph said. “You don’t lose too much talent too fast.”

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...