News Briefs and Campus Calendar

NATIONAL CHAMPS PARADE PLANNED

The 2001 University of Miami National Football Champions will be honored in downtown Miami with a tickertape parade and courthouse rally at noon on Friday, January 25. The parade will begin at Bayfront Park and stretch west on Flagler Street where it will end on the steps of the Miami-Dade County Courthouse, 73 W. Flagler Street, in downtown Miami. Information on parking will be posted in e-Veritas and on http://hurricanesports.fansonly.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010802aak.html as it becomes available. At 7 p.m. that evening a campus celebration will be held on the University’s Campus Green featuring the entire UM team and
coaching staff. Alumnus Roy Firestone, one of the nation’s best known sportscasters and ESPN show host, will act as Master of Ceremonies along with former player Don Bailey and “Voice of the Hurricanes” Marc Vandermeer.

Today
UM’s New Gallery presents Earth 2002, an exhibition featuring a showcase of 13 artists from around the country from today to February 15 at New Gallery in the Art Building, 1300 Campo Sano Drive. The artists featured in the show were chosen because their work deals with the ongoing changes in the environment and is in a variety of media, including photography, painting, prints, sculpture, video and installation.

There will be a special lecture “Artist as Activist” by Virginia artist Alexandria Searls, who will describe the potential interaction between art and politics, exemplified by her own experience, at 4:30 p.m., today, in Learning Center, Room 180. The show is free and open to the public. For more information call 305-284-2792.

Friday Grove on UC Patio from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.- Active Ingredients

Happy Hour at the Rathskeller from 4:30-8 p.m.

Sunday 20 January
WWF Royal Rumble at the Rathskeller from 7-9 p.m.

Monday 21 January
The Public Safety Department is holding a Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) course. This 12-hour self-defense course offers basic education from risk reduction and avoidance to basic physical defense techniques designed for women of all ages. The course is from 6 – 9 p.m. on January 21, 23, 28 and 30 at the Wellness Center. For more information, call 954-699-7587.

Tuesday 22 January
The Sports and Recreational Interest Club Federation, made-up of 30 clubs, hosts an Open House from 5-7 p.m., where sports club officers staff information tables to promote their club’s activities.

CAC Movie- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Wednesday 23 January
Renown fashion photographer and filmmaker Bruce Weber and associate producer Nan Bush will hold a question and answer session following a screening of their 2001 film Chop Suey at 7:30 p.m. tonight at the Bill Cosford cinema.

Games night at Rathskeller from 7-9 p.m.

Thursday 24 January
Greek Life: Fraternity Forum.

Friday 25 January
The 2001 University of Miami National Football Champions will be honored in downtown Miami with a tickertape parade and courthouse rally today. The parade will begin at Bayfront Park and stretch west on Flagler Street where it will end on the steps of the Miami-Dade County Courthouse, 73 W. Flagler Street.

At 7 p.m. this evening a campus celebration will be held on the University’s Campus Green featuring the entire UM team and coaching staff. Alumnus Roy Firestone, one of the nation’s best known sportscasters and ESPN show host, will act as master of ceremonies along with former player Don Bailey and “Voice of the Hurricanes” Marc Vandermeer.

Friday Grove on UC Patio from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.- Shufly

Happy Hour at the Rathskeller from 4:30-8 p.m. -Rhumboogie

Monday 28 January
Seeking volunteers. Get Involved in the Community in 2002. Come speak one-on-one with 75 local non-profit agencies from 11 a.m. -1:30 p.m.today. Find out what they do and about possible volunteer opportunities at their agencies. For more information contact the Butler Volunteer Services Center at 305-284-GIVE.

Alpha Kappa Psi. Attention all business majors and minors Alpha Kappa Psi, The Professional Business Fraternity, will be having its spring recruiting from today to Feb. 7. If you are interested in networking with business professionals nationwide, please contact Valerie at 305-323-9230 or at Valeri004@hotmail.com.

Tuesday 29 January
CAC movie- Moulin Rouge

Wednesday 30 January
The next Smoking Cessation Program, free to all UM insurance holders, will begin today. Call Jennifer Pinto at 305-243-3209 for more information.

Once in a blue moon at the Rathskeller from 9-12 p.m.

Friday 1 February
Friday Grove on UC Patio from 11:30am-1 p.m.

Happy Hour at the Rathskeller from 4:30-8 p.m. – Erica Summers.

Monday 4 February
Guns N Violence Awareness Campaign

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

The University of Miami basketball team was unable to overcome Virginia’s pack-line defense in a 59- ...

Even in signing a strong overall class, UM lost out on five defensive targets on National Signing Da ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

Redshirt freshman Alicia Blagg made quite an ACC Championships debut Friday night, capturing a gold ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play a pair of road matches in the Southwest this wee ...

University of Miami football player Deejay Dallas is an active member in the Hurricanes' Studen ...

Canes and Orange battle in noon game on CBS. ...