French cuisine thrives in Gables

After plans to dine at a Coral Gables restaurant fell through, a friend and I cruised Ponce de Leon Boulevard, scoping out the numerous restaurants that line the avenue. My goal was to find a restaurant where I could enjoy food and ambience on a student budget. We settled for Les Halles, a French bistro near the corner of Miracle Mile and Ponce. I did not have reservations, and though it was a Saturday night with a nearly full house, I had no trouble finding a table.

Wine enthusiasts with a budget constraint can indulge in the demi-bouteille(half-bottle). Depending on the wine, it can actually come out cheaper than ordering two glasses. We chose a 1998 Medoc with a very light finish. Meanwhile, conversation at the surrounding tables had reached airport-landing-strip-decibel levels, in essence matching the loudness of a true bistro.

The waiter advised us to choose quickly. I selected two appetizers, the calamari and the escargots, again keeping in mind the student who wants taste on a budget. My friend opted for the opposite side, the student who wants a sizable plate, no frills, and ordered the steak au poivre (pepper steak, accompanied with french fries). The cost of the two appetizer portions were equivalent to that of the entr

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...