French cuisine thrives in Gables

After plans to dine at a Coral Gables restaurant fell through, a friend and I cruised Ponce de Leon Boulevard, scoping out the numerous restaurants that line the avenue. My goal was to find a restaurant where I could enjoy food and ambience on a student budget. We settled for Les Halles, a French bistro near the corner of Miracle Mile and Ponce. I did not have reservations, and though it was a Saturday night with a nearly full house, I had no trouble finding a table.

Wine enthusiasts with a budget constraint can indulge in the demi-bouteille(half-bottle). Depending on the wine, it can actually come out cheaper than ordering two glasses. We chose a 1998 Medoc with a very light finish. Meanwhile, conversation at the surrounding tables had reached airport-landing-strip-decibel levels, in essence matching the loudness of a true bistro.

The waiter advised us to choose quickly. I selected two appetizers, the calamari and the escargots, again keeping in mind the student who wants taste on a budget. My friend opted for the opposite side, the student who wants a sizable plate, no frills, and ordered the steak au poivre (pepper steak, accompanied with french fries). The cost of the two appetizer portions were equivalent to that of the entr

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...