French cuisine thrives in Gables

After plans to dine at a Coral Gables restaurant fell through, a friend and I cruised Ponce de Leon Boulevard, scoping out the numerous restaurants that line the avenue. My goal was to find a restaurant where I could enjoy food and ambience on a student budget. We settled for Les Halles, a French bistro near the corner of Miracle Mile and Ponce. I did not have reservations, and though it was a Saturday night with a nearly full house, I had no trouble finding a table.

Wine enthusiasts with a budget constraint can indulge in the demi-bouteille(half-bottle). Depending on the wine, it can actually come out cheaper than ordering two glasses. We chose a 1998 Medoc with a very light finish. Meanwhile, conversation at the surrounding tables had reached airport-landing-strip-decibel levels, in essence matching the loudness of a true bistro.

The waiter advised us to choose quickly. I selected two appetizers, the calamari and the escargots, again keeping in mind the student who wants taste on a budget. My friend opted for the opposite side, the student who wants a sizable plate, no frills, and ordered the steak au poivre (pepper steak, accompanied with french fries). The cost of the two appetizer portions were equivalent to that of the entr

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...