Burglar’s paradise: UM housing a haven for thieves

I knew something was wrong when I walked in and saw my roommates sitting in the living room wearing grim expressions on their faces.

Check your room, they told me. And as I walked in, it hit me. Several of my things had been thrown on the floor. Some of the dresser drawers were open, barely hanging from their slots.

We had been robbed.

My case of CD’s? Gone. Jewelry lying on the bureau? Gone. My personal CD player on the desk? Gone.

Questions were now racing through my head. What else did they take? Where were the police? Didn’t anybody see this happen? How did they get in? Two of my roommates had also been robbed of some of their things. The thieves had gotten in through the kitchen window, in broad daylight, around lunchtime when none of us were there, and the police had already been there to record what happened. That was it.

We were basically told: “Too bad, it could have been worse, and have a nice day.”

It ain’t pleasant being robbed. It was and still is the worse feeling of violation I have ever experienced; like rape. I had never been robbed before, but surprisingly a lot of on-campus residents have. But there was nothing they could say to relieve me of my anger, despair, and frustration. S– happens, they said. Be thankful that you weren’t there when they were, and, as before, it could have been worse.

I am frustrated at this school, which is supposed to be protecting our safety and preventing things like this from occurring. I know I pay a hell of a lot of money to come here and I expect to have top-notch security on this campus. I’ve been told there’s nothing much one can do about it. But there are tons of things that could be done. People should be warned. Apartments should be armed with some kind of alarm system. Everyone knows that they are extremely vulnerable to robberies. Security should be beefed up around campus, particularly in this building-where not one, not two but three robberies have occurred.

If so much attention is being paid to giving goddamn parking tickets, then where the hell are the police when our homes are getting burglarized? Can you say priority check?

Derek Bramble is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...