Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL
The top-ranked University of Miami Hurricanes, led by Conference Player of the Year Bryant McKinnie, placed a league-best 10 players on the Big East All-Conference Football Team by Football News magazine, the publication announced. McKinnie was also named a finalist for the 2001 Outland Trophy, which honors the best interior lineman in college football. Miami placed seven players on the offensive all-league team led by junior quarterback Ken Dorsey. Others honored were sophomore receiver Andre Johnson, junior tight end Jeremy Shockey, senior guard Martin Bibla, senior tackle Joaquin Gonzales and junior placekicker Todd Sievers. Three Hurricanes earned spots on the defense, including linebacker Chris Campbell, cornerback Phillip Buchanon and free safety Edward Reed, also a first-team All-America selection by Football News. In addition, punter Freddie Capshaw was named a finalist for the Ray Guy Award recognizing the nation’s top collegiate punter.

SWIMMING AND DIVING
The University of Miami Swimming and Diving team put forth a dominating performance at the Pittsburgh Invitational on Nov. 16-18. The Hurricane men’s diving team swept the three-meter event with senior Imre Lengyel taking first (604.60), junior Kyle Prandi in second (594.90) and freshman Miguel Velazquez in third (575.80). The men also dominated in the one-meter diving event with Lengyel taking first (359.70), Prandi in second (324.30) and Velazquez third (294.10). In the platform diving competition, Lengyel took his third first-place finish with a 627.00 score. Velazquez finished second (509.75) and Prandi third (508.40). The Miami women’s diving team answered with sophomore Melanie Rinaldi. Rinaldi capturing first-place in both the three-meter diving competition (549.85) and the platform (436.30). Sophomore Manon van Rooijen finished first in the 200-yard freestyle swimming competition with a time of 1:51.10. The team returns to competition at the U.S. Open in Uniondale, New York on Nov. 30-Dec. 3.

VOLLEYBALL
Head volleyball coach Nicole Lantagne announced the signing of three players from Texas, Pennsylvania and Florida to national letters of intent. It is the second recruiting class for Lantagne. Joining the program are Karla Johnson from Houston, Texas, Robin Lewullis from Allentown, Pennsylvania and Francheska Savage from Ft. Myers, Florida. Johnson was MVP of District 15-5A at Westfield High School in Houston. Lewullis helped lead Allentown Central Catholic High School to a 27-3 record this season and a state title. The 6-1 middle blocker/outside hitter also played basketball for Central Catholic which won the 2001 State Championship. Savage was named All-Conference for Ft. Myers High School. She was also named Most Improved the past two seasons.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...