Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL
The top-ranked University of Miami Hurricanes, led by Conference Player of the Year Bryant McKinnie, placed a league-best 10 players on the Big East All-Conference Football Team by Football News magazine, the publication announced. McKinnie was also named a finalist for the 2001 Outland Trophy, which honors the best interior lineman in college football. Miami placed seven players on the offensive all-league team led by junior quarterback Ken Dorsey. Others honored were sophomore receiver Andre Johnson, junior tight end Jeremy Shockey, senior guard Martin Bibla, senior tackle Joaquin Gonzales and junior placekicker Todd Sievers. Three Hurricanes earned spots on the defense, including linebacker Chris Campbell, cornerback Phillip Buchanon and free safety Edward Reed, also a first-team All-America selection by Football News. In addition, punter Freddie Capshaw was named a finalist for the Ray Guy Award recognizing the nation’s top collegiate punter.

SWIMMING AND DIVING
The University of Miami Swimming and Diving team put forth a dominating performance at the Pittsburgh Invitational on Nov. 16-18. The Hurricane men’s diving team swept the three-meter event with senior Imre Lengyel taking first (604.60), junior Kyle Prandi in second (594.90) and freshman Miguel Velazquez in third (575.80). The men also dominated in the one-meter diving event with Lengyel taking first (359.70), Prandi in second (324.30) and Velazquez third (294.10). In the platform diving competition, Lengyel took his third first-place finish with a 627.00 score. Velazquez finished second (509.75) and Prandi third (508.40). The Miami women’s diving team answered with sophomore Melanie Rinaldi. Rinaldi capturing first-place in both the three-meter diving competition (549.85) and the platform (436.30). Sophomore Manon van Rooijen finished first in the 200-yard freestyle swimming competition with a time of 1:51.10. The team returns to competition at the U.S. Open in Uniondale, New York on Nov. 30-Dec. 3.

VOLLEYBALL
Head volleyball coach Nicole Lantagne announced the signing of three players from Texas, Pennsylvania and Florida to national letters of intent. It is the second recruiting class for Lantagne. Joining the program are Karla Johnson from Houston, Texas, Robin Lewullis from Allentown, Pennsylvania and Francheska Savage from Ft. Myers, Florida. Johnson was MVP of District 15-5A at Westfield High School in Houston. Lewullis helped lead Allentown Central Catholic High School to a 27-3 record this season and a state title. The 6-1 middle blocker/outside hitter also played basketball for Central Catholic which won the 2001 State Championship. Savage was named All-Conference for Ft. Myers High School. She was also named Most Improved the past two seasons.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...