Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL
The top-ranked University of Miami Hurricanes, led by Conference Player of the Year Bryant McKinnie, placed a league-best 10 players on the Big East All-Conference Football Team by Football News magazine, the publication announced. McKinnie was also named a finalist for the 2001 Outland Trophy, which honors the best interior lineman in college football. Miami placed seven players on the offensive all-league team led by junior quarterback Ken Dorsey. Others honored were sophomore receiver Andre Johnson, junior tight end Jeremy Shockey, senior guard Martin Bibla, senior tackle Joaquin Gonzales and junior placekicker Todd Sievers. Three Hurricanes earned spots on the defense, including linebacker Chris Campbell, cornerback Phillip Buchanon and free safety Edward Reed, also a first-team All-America selection by Football News. In addition, punter Freddie Capshaw was named a finalist for the Ray Guy Award recognizing the nation’s top collegiate punter.

SWIMMING AND DIVING
The University of Miami Swimming and Diving team put forth a dominating performance at the Pittsburgh Invitational on Nov. 16-18. The Hurricane men’s diving team swept the three-meter event with senior Imre Lengyel taking first (604.60), junior Kyle Prandi in second (594.90) and freshman Miguel Velazquez in third (575.80). The men also dominated in the one-meter diving event with Lengyel taking first (359.70), Prandi in second (324.30) and Velazquez third (294.10). In the platform diving competition, Lengyel took his third first-place finish with a 627.00 score. Velazquez finished second (509.75) and Prandi third (508.40). The Miami women’s diving team answered with sophomore Melanie Rinaldi. Rinaldi capturing first-place in both the three-meter diving competition (549.85) and the platform (436.30). Sophomore Manon van Rooijen finished first in the 200-yard freestyle swimming competition with a time of 1:51.10. The team returns to competition at the U.S. Open in Uniondale, New York on Nov. 30-Dec. 3.

VOLLEYBALL
Head volleyball coach Nicole Lantagne announced the signing of three players from Texas, Pennsylvania and Florida to national letters of intent. It is the second recruiting class for Lantagne. Joining the program are Karla Johnson from Houston, Texas, Robin Lewullis from Allentown, Pennsylvania and Francheska Savage from Ft. Myers, Florida. Johnson was MVP of District 15-5A at Westfield High School in Houston. Lewullis helped lead Allentown Central Catholic High School to a 27-3 record this season and a state title. The 6-1 middle blocker/outside hitter also played basketball for Central Catholic which won the 2001 State Championship. Savage was named All-Conference for Ft. Myers High School. She was also named Most Improved the past two seasons.

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...