Q & A with Miss UM Erin Fowler

Undergraduate senior Erin Fowler’s magnificent rendition of the classic jazz staple “Paper Moon”, along with dazzling performance in the “Evening Gown” and Swimsuit competitions delighted judges on her way to becoming this years Miss University of Miami.

Representing Alpha Sigma Phi, Fowler, 22, pursued her philanthropic platform with a “Mentoring through Music” program which entails going to local schools and assisting children with their musical endeavors who otherwise would not be able to pursue them for financial reasons.

She is currently studying music, with a principal in jazz vocals, along with a minor in psychology. Fowler credits her University of Miami alumni mother with much of her musical passion.

What unique aspect of your performance do you think made the most significant impression on the judges?

There are so many categories that you really have to perform well in all of them. I believe I had a strong platform that I have been pursuing for years, and that definitely was a factor.

I was not nervous at all going into the interview-eight minutes is a short amount of time to show someone who you are so I went in and had a conversation with the person.

My overall mindset was to “do my best” and not simply “to win.” I truly love music and I sang a song that I have admired since I was a child. The song “Paper Moon” definitely matched my personality and performance. Confidence is a major factor as well, and during the pageant I really let the judges into my life and showed them the true person that I am.

Singing on stage with a song you love, it is the most amazing feeling in the world. I focused on the audience, not merely on my performance. It was such a great feeling simply to participate, I had no idea that I was going to win.

What are your responsibilities as Ms. UM?

Representing the University of Miami in Miss Florida, I am focusing on finishing the year well and preparing to represent the school in the Miss Florida Pageant. If I win that, I go on to Miss America. I am doing it for the experience, but I will be prepared. I don’t want to be thinking what if.

What are your personal interests?

I enjoy getting involved in making a different in others lives, being in my family and learning from others. I enjoy outdoor activity, going to the gym and traveling, learning about other cultures and seeing new sites. Backpacking and hiking in the country, I’m a “mountain girl.” I write my own music, it’s definitely a release of personal expression.

What would you like to pursue career-wise?

I would like to eventually become a professional singer or performer and travel the world touring either with other artists or solo, just an opportunity to sing and travel. I don’t mind being a backup singer, my passion is not about only being the star. I’d simply like to be a respected singer. I also plan to go to graduate school to study speech pathology.

How would you like to use your position to help your fellow University of Miami students?

I definitely would be willing to make appearances on behalf of student organizations in an effort to better assist the university community as a whole. I really strive to use this position to assist the university, not only limiting myself to the confines of the pageant. I would love to use my singing to further assist any of my fellow students.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...