News Briefs and Campus Calendar

n groundbreaking held for new center

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala joined Sue and Leonard Miller on Monday November 26 at the groundbreaking ceremony for the Sue and Leonard Miller Center, the future home of UM’s Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies (CCJS).

First established in 1998, the Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies, now renamed the Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies, was the first academic and research center in the United States to focus primarily on 20th and 21st Century Jewish studies as well as trends affecting the future of the Jewish people. The renovation, which marks a new chapter in the CCJS’s pursuit of cultural and religious understanding, was made possible by a gift from Sue and Leonard Miller. The new Center houses a research library, a multi-use media conference/class room, several display areas and storage facilities for the CCJS’s permanent collection of Judaica, as well as offices for faculty, scholars and staff. The Center’s multidisciplinary focus includes examination of some of the more important events of the 20th Century – the birth of Zionism, the horrors of the Holocaust and the creation of the state of Israel. Other issues and themes at the heart of the CCJS curriculum include the role of religion vs. secularism, the roles of tradition and modernity in Jewish life, the complexities of the Israel-Diaspora relationship, Jewish demographic trends and population movements, and Israeli policies and politics.

The University presently offers a major and minor in Judaic studies. Course offerings are expected to be expanded as part of the Center’s future development. For more information on the Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies, contact 305-284-6882 or visit http://www.miami.edu/miller-center/.

n study abroad scholarships

The National Security Education Program David L. Boren Scholarships encourage and support study abroad. The NSEP wants students to internationalize their education by studying in countries critical to U.S. national interests, but generally under-represented in study abroad programs. Emphasized world areas include: Africa, Asia, Eastern and Central Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East. The goal of NSEP is to build a base of future leaders with language proficiency and cultural understanding necessary to succeed in the global arena. Both summer and full semester program scholarships are available. For further details, you may contact Ms. Carol Lazzeri, NSEP Campus Representative, at 305-284-3434, or Ms. Andrea DuPuch at 305-284-5384, or call the NSEP directly at 1-800-618-6737. You may also reach them by e-mail at nsep@iie.org or at their website www.iie.org/nsep .

The national deadline for applications is February 15, 2002. The University of Miami campus deadline date for submission of the completed application to Ms. Carol Lazzeri is January 15, 2002.

reminders

Meningococcal Meningitis immunizations are still available at the Student Health Center. Although vaccination is available to all students, freshman students who reside in dormitories and other on campus housing are at increased risk for this rare but potentially serious infection. More information is available at www.miami.edu/student-health.

PROMOTE YOUR DEPARTMENT TO STUDENTS AT THE ANNUAL SPRING INVOLVEMENT FAIR

The Spring Involvement Fair will take place on Thursday, January 17, on the patio of the Whitten University Center. Sponsored by the Committee on Student Organizations, the Involvement Fair is an opportunity for the UM community to expose students to the wealth of resources and involvement

opportunities available to them at the University. More than 100 student organizations and departments participate each year. To participate, register online at http://www.miami.edu/coso. Click on the Involvement Fair link. If you have any questions, contact COSO at 305-284-6399 or coso.studorg@miami.edu.

today

Stress Less Day: Finals are approaching and so is crunch time stress. If you’re feeling overwhelmed with your studies, we can help! Come take a load off after a long day of classes with the Wellness Center’s Stress Less Day. Join us today for a relaxing day of movies and popcorn in the Wellness Center Atrium. For more information, contact (305) 284-6524.

Seeking all Peace Corps Volunteers: The School of International Studies Peace Corps Recruiter is looking for faculty, staff and graduate students who have served as Peace Corps Volunteers. If you are interested in being recognized as an RPCV and participating in future Peace Corps events on campus, contact Peace Corps recruiter Erin Seiler by today, at e.seiler@umiami.edu or at 305-284-5398.

Art Class Exhibition: UM’s Art Glass program is pleased to host its first student exhibition from 6-8 p.m. today at the Showspace, next to the New Gallery in the Art Building. Don’t miss this exciting show of hand made glass objects and mixed media made by beginning and advanced students of the Art Glass program in the Department of Art and Art History. For information call 305-284-5735.

Finals Fiesta! Celebrate the last day of the Fall Semester today at 5 p.m. on the UC patio with Multicultural Student Affairs

“Staying Alive:” The Gong-less Gong Show will follow Finals Fiesta on the UC Patio. There will also be free food and a performance by UM Dance Troupe, KAOS.

december 1

Rape aggression defense course. The Public Safety Department is holding a Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) course. This 12-hour self-defense course offers basic education from risk reduction and avoidance to basic physical defense techniques designed for women of all ages. The course is from 9:30 a.m. – 1 30 p.m. today, at the Wellness Center. For more information or to register, call 954-699-7587.

december 3

Exam Taking Work Shop: This one session workshop will provide students with a review of strategies for effective exam preparation. Learn ways to approach each of your exams with more confidence and less anxiety. Pre-registration is required. Please call 305-284-5511 to register with Paige Curran.

Program to compare Catholicism in Brazil and Russia: UM’s Center for Latin American Studies And the Department of History present a program entitled Trans-National Religion in Brazil and Russia: A Comparative Study of Catholicism from noon – 2 p.m. today in the History Department conference room, 619 Ashe. The presenter is Ralph Della Cava, a professor of History at Queens College, the City University of New York. He is Co-Director of a collaborative project with the University of Sao Paulo, on “Catholicism and Society in Post-War Brazil.” For more information, call the Center for Latin American Studies 305-284-1854.

Come experience an evening of poetry, prose, and drama tonight in Pearson 137 from 7 to 9 p.m.. Read a treasured poem, a couple pages from a favorite novel, or a scene from a play. Limit readings to five minutes. A discussion will follow the readings. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, e-mail solutions_um@yahoo.com

december 12

Semester ends. Happy winter holidays!

december 13

Non-commencement participating students living on campus must be out of the residential colleges by noon.

december 14

Students participating in commencement and living on campus must be out of the residential colleges by noon.