Letter to the Editor

If someone had told me that the University’s purpose was not to teach me skills which would help me get a job, but – as the dean of the School of Communications put it – to “develop for yourself the richest possible life …” (whatever that means), I would have considered receiving my degree somewhere else.

I am a motion pictures/art student graduating this semester. I’m mostly interested in film editing and illustration. While studying here I found the motion picture production program and the illustration/graphic design program somewhat lacking. For example, in graphic design, there are no courses on typography, an extremely important facet of design. In editing, only two computers are available to our whole class and the graduate class. The fact that only two computers are available to us came as quite a shock, since, according to the school website, it has four editing computers. I’m not the only one with complaints about the program. In fact, I first heard of these problems when students and even some faculty complained about them in class.

Because of these problems, I decided to write a letter to UM administrators. Close to a month passed by without me receiving a response. The only response I received was from the dean of the School of Communication, who gave me a numbered list of why nothing was wrong with the film program. After I’ve paid $20,000 a year towards my education, the lack of understanding I received from the administration astounds me. I feel like I’ve been ripped off. Don’t expect to see me at the graduation ceremony. I don’t consider my degree meaning much, and I honestly don’t want to want to meet the administrators who have ignored me.

Estrella Vega

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...