Women’s basketball defeats Iona

Sophomore guard Hutashi Wilson scored a career-high 16 points to lead Miami to a 71-52 victory over visiting Iona in its season opener Sunday afternoon.

The Hurricanes improve to 1-0 on the season, while the Gaels fall to 0-2.

Wilson also pulled down a career-high seven rebounds and three steals in the winning effort.

Miami jumped out early with a 13-4 run to start the game. The Gaels did not recover from the deficit and trailed 37-22 at halftime.

Junior Alicia Hartlaub led Miami with 10 points in the first half. The Hurricanes continued to pressure Iona and led by as many as 25 points in the second half. The Gaels tried to make a comeback with an 11-0 run late in the game, cutting Miami’s lead to 13 points.

Wilson combined with senior Martha Bodley to put the Hurricanes back on track and increased the lead to 19 points with 4:26 left in the game.

The Hurricanes remained in control of game and cruised with a 19-point game-winning margin over Iona.

Miami shot 46 percent from the field, compared to 32 percent for Iona. The Hurricanes out-rebounded the Gaels 47-33.

Four players scored in double digits for Miami, Wilson (19), Hartlaub (12), Sheila James (Orlando, Fla.) (12) and Shaquana Wilkins (12).

Megan Cobb led Iona with a game-high 21 points in 35 minutes of action.

Miami is back in action Wednesday night at 7 p.m., taking on Northwestern.

-Courtesy of Sports Information

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...