Toe-tappin’ fun

Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller wrote “Hound Dog”. Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller wrote “Charlie Brown”, “Spanish Harlem”, and “Stand by Me”. Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller wrote “Jailhouse Rock”. Now we are properly introduced to some of the numerous pop hits of the 1950s and 1960s composed by this industrious duo.

Each song has a neat polish to it but none aspires to become a standard in the fashion of songs by Cole Porter or Gershwin, whose crafted show tunes fed not only the pop charts but also served as standards for the jazz musicians to improvise upon. Far from it, Leiber and Stoller wrote songs whose structure relied upon the new music coming of age in the 1950s, rock ‘n roll. Perhaps the greatest merit of gems such as “Yakety Yak” is that they manage to capture glimpses of the time in which they were written.

In two acts where one song leads to another, without leaving the actors time to breathe, the play ‘Smokey Joe’s Caf

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...