Culture

Toe-tappin’ fun

Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller wrote “Hound Dog”. Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller wrote “Charlie Brown”, “Spanish Harlem”, and “Stand by Me”. Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller wrote “Jailhouse Rock”. Now we are properly introduced to some of the numerous pop hits of the 1950s and 1960s composed by this industrious duo.

Each song has a neat polish to it but none aspires to become a standard in the fashion of songs by Cole Porter or Gershwin, whose crafted show tunes fed not only the pop charts but also served as standards for the jazz musicians to improvise upon. Far from it, Leiber and Stoller wrote songs whose structure relied upon the new music coming of age in the 1950s, rock ‘n roll. Perhaps the greatest merit of gems such as “Yakety Yak” is that they manage to capture glimpses of the time in which they were written.

In two acts where one song leads to another, without leaving the actors time to breathe, the play ‘Smokey Joe’s Caf

The gallery celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month with a virtual event that paired works of art from it

Felicia Knaul, an international health economist and expert in health systems and social sectors, is

Stephen A. Schwarzman, co-founder of the investment firm Blackstone, shared insights on the economy

Rosenstiel School researcher Katharine Mach, who studies the response and adaptation to changing cli

As the battle to contain wildfires continues, so does the debate as to how much climate change is ex