Student attacked at UC

Coral Gables police officers arrived at the University Center (UC) Patio last Tuesday afternoon in response to an act of violence and left with a male student in handcuffs.

According to police reports, 20-year-old Virgilie Aliu-Otokiti stated that Bjorn Moncur, 20, approached her while she was sitting at a table on the UC Patio and said “stop looking in my f*ing direction,” after which a verbal altercation began.

Aliu-Otokiti stated that during the altercation, Moncur grabbed her by the neck and threw her on the ground, according to the Coral Gables police report.

UM student Stacey Balkaran, 20, acted as a witness in the police report and verified Aliu-Otokitis’s recount of the event.

Aliu-Otokiti and Balkaran then went to a first floor UC office where police were called.

Police said Alui-Otokiti further stated that she has had previous verbal and physical altercations with Moncur that she had not reported to police.

Alui-Otokiti stated in the police report that Moncur is a friend of hers, “but not a boyfriend.”

Police describe Moncur as a black male, 5′ 6″, 195 lbs. with dreadlocks, a goatee and a tattoo on each of his forearms.

A UC information desk employee who arrived after the altercation said he saw Moncur waiting in the UC office and that he was “immensely built” and “huge for his height.”

“He’s here in the UC all the time,” the source said.

Coral Gables police officers Cuerdo and Saborido charged Moncur with one count of simple battery and then took him away in handcuffs at 1:39 p.m.

Moncur has been released and has not as yet received any sanctions from university administration.

Alui-Otokiti did not request medical attention following the altercation.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...