Student attacked at UC

Coral Gables police officers arrived at the University Center (UC) Patio last Tuesday afternoon in response to an act of violence and left with a male student in handcuffs.

According to police reports, 20-year-old Virgilie Aliu-Otokiti stated that Bjorn Moncur, 20, approached her while she was sitting at a table on the UC Patio and said “stop looking in my f*ing direction,” after which a verbal altercation began.

Aliu-Otokiti stated that during the altercation, Moncur grabbed her by the neck and threw her on the ground, according to the Coral Gables police report.

UM student Stacey Balkaran, 20, acted as a witness in the police report and verified Aliu-Otokitis’s recount of the event.

Aliu-Otokiti and Balkaran then went to a first floor UC office where police were called.

Police said Alui-Otokiti further stated that she has had previous verbal and physical altercations with Moncur that she had not reported to police.

Alui-Otokiti stated in the police report that Moncur is a friend of hers, “but not a boyfriend.”

Police describe Moncur as a black male, 5′ 6″, 195 lbs. with dreadlocks, a goatee and a tattoo on each of his forearms.

A UC information desk employee who arrived after the altercation said he saw Moncur waiting in the UC office and that he was “immensely built” and “huge for his height.”

“He’s here in the UC all the time,” the source said.

Coral Gables police officers Cuerdo and Saborido charged Moncur with one count of simple battery and then took him away in handcuffs at 1:39 p.m.

Moncur has been released and has not as yet received any sanctions from university administration.

Alui-Otokiti did not request medical attention following the altercation.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Student attacked at UC”

1. amber says:

That’s my baby!

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...