Student attacked at UC

Coral Gables police officers arrived at the University Center (UC) Patio last Tuesday afternoon in response to an act of violence and left with a male student in handcuffs.

According to police reports, 20-year-old Virgilie Aliu-Otokiti stated that Bjorn Moncur, 20, approached her while she was sitting at a table on the UC Patio and said “stop looking in my f*ing direction,” after which a verbal altercation began.

Aliu-Otokiti stated that during the altercation, Moncur grabbed her by the neck and threw her on the ground, according to the Coral Gables police report.

UM student Stacey Balkaran, 20, acted as a witness in the police report and verified Aliu-Otokitis’s recount of the event.

Aliu-Otokiti and Balkaran then went to a first floor UC office where police were called.

Police said Alui-Otokiti further stated that she has had previous verbal and physical altercations with Moncur that she had not reported to police.

Alui-Otokiti stated in the police report that Moncur is a friend of hers, “but not a boyfriend.”

Police describe Moncur as a black male, 5′ 6″, 195 lbs. with dreadlocks, a goatee and a tattoo on each of his forearms.

A UC information desk employee who arrived after the altercation said he saw Moncur waiting in the UC office and that he was “immensely built” and “huge for his height.”

“He’s here in the UC all the time,” the source said.

Coral Gables police officers Cuerdo and Saborido charged Moncur with one count of simple battery and then took him away in handcuffs at 1:39 p.m.

Moncur has been released and has not as yet received any sanctions from university administration.

Alui-Otokiti did not request medical attention following the altercation.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...