Student attacked at UC

Coral Gables police officers arrived at the University Center (UC) Patio last Tuesday afternoon in response to an act of violence and left with a male student in handcuffs.

According to police reports, 20-year-old Virgilie Aliu-Otokiti stated that Bjorn Moncur, 20, approached her while she was sitting at a table on the UC Patio and said “stop looking in my f*ing direction,” after which a verbal altercation began.

Aliu-Otokiti stated that during the altercation, Moncur grabbed her by the neck and threw her on the ground, according to the Coral Gables police report.

UM student Stacey Balkaran, 20, acted as a witness in the police report and verified Aliu-Otokitis’s recount of the event.

Aliu-Otokiti and Balkaran then went to a first floor UC office where police were called.

Police said Alui-Otokiti further stated that she has had previous verbal and physical altercations with Moncur that she had not reported to police.

Alui-Otokiti stated in the police report that Moncur is a friend of hers, “but not a boyfriend.”

Police describe Moncur as a black male, 5′ 6″, 195 lbs. with dreadlocks, a goatee and a tattoo on each of his forearms.

A UC information desk employee who arrived after the altercation said he saw Moncur waiting in the UC office and that he was “immensely built” and “huge for his height.”

“He’s here in the UC all the time,” the source said.

Coral Gables police officers Cuerdo and Saborido charged Moncur with one count of simple battery and then took him away in handcuffs at 1:39 p.m.

Moncur has been released and has not as yet received any sanctions from university administration.

Alui-Otokiti did not request medical attention following the altercation.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...