Lady Canes fall to Georgia in first round of NCAA Tournament

The Miami soccer team fell short, falling 5-2 to Georgia in the first round of the NCAA tournament Friday afternoon at the Percy Beard Stadium in Gainesville.

The Hurricanes wrap up the 2001 season with an overall mark of 10-9-1, while the Bulldogs improve to 13-5-1 overall.

“We started the match very strong and played well,” said head coach Jim Blankenship. “We just needed to take that momentum and play strong for the entire match, something we will improve on.”

Georgia will face the winner of the match between host Florida and UCF Sunday at 2 p.m.

The Hurricanes struck first; scoring 10 minutes into the match as Deidre Bass scored her fifth goal of the season to put Miami on top by one. Allison McWhinney and Laura West assisted Bass on the goal.

Miami continued its attack scoring three minutes later as McWhinney scored on a pass from Bass.

The Hurricanes kept the two-point lead until Georgia’s Tricia McKee scored on a cross from Kristen Allen at 26:17 putting the Bulldogs back into the match.

Six minutes later Georgia scored again as Lauren Zacharski connected on a pass from McKee to tie the match two-all.

Georgia came out on fire the second half and scored three goals within 10 minutes of each other, then sat back and played defense for the remainder of the match.

Georgia tallied 13 shots, compared to only four for the Hurricanes. UGA also took five corner kicks, while Miami took none.

-Courtesy of Sports Information

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...