Lady Canes fall to Georgia in first round of NCAA Tournament

The Miami soccer team fell short, falling 5-2 to Georgia in the first round of the NCAA tournament Friday afternoon at the Percy Beard Stadium in Gainesville.

The Hurricanes wrap up the 2001 season with an overall mark of 10-9-1, while the Bulldogs improve to 13-5-1 overall.

“We started the match very strong and played well,” said head coach Jim Blankenship. “We just needed to take that momentum and play strong for the entire match, something we will improve on.”

Georgia will face the winner of the match between host Florida and UCF Sunday at 2 p.m.

The Hurricanes struck first; scoring 10 minutes into the match as Deidre Bass scored her fifth goal of the season to put Miami on top by one. Allison McWhinney and Laura West assisted Bass on the goal.

Miami continued its attack scoring three minutes later as McWhinney scored on a pass from Bass.

The Hurricanes kept the two-point lead until Georgia’s Tricia McKee scored on a cross from Kristen Allen at 26:17 putting the Bulldogs back into the match.

Six minutes later Georgia scored again as Lauren Zacharski connected on a pass from McKee to tie the match two-all.

Georgia came out on fire the second half and scored three goals within 10 minutes of each other, then sat back and played defense for the remainder of the match.

Georgia tallied 13 shots, compared to only four for the Hurricanes. UGA also took five corner kicks, while Miami took none.

-Courtesy of Sports Information

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...