Lady Canes fall to Georgia in first round of NCAA Tournament

The Miami soccer team fell short, falling 5-2 to Georgia in the first round of the NCAA tournament Friday afternoon at the Percy Beard Stadium in Gainesville.

The Hurricanes wrap up the 2001 season with an overall mark of 10-9-1, while the Bulldogs improve to 13-5-1 overall.

“We started the match very strong and played well,” said head coach Jim Blankenship. “We just needed to take that momentum and play strong for the entire match, something we will improve on.”

Georgia will face the winner of the match between host Florida and UCF Sunday at 2 p.m.

The Hurricanes struck first; scoring 10 minutes into the match as Deidre Bass scored her fifth goal of the season to put Miami on top by one. Allison McWhinney and Laura West assisted Bass on the goal.

Miami continued its attack scoring three minutes later as McWhinney scored on a pass from Bass.

The Hurricanes kept the two-point lead until Georgia’s Tricia McKee scored on a cross from Kristen Allen at 26:17 putting the Bulldogs back into the match.

Six minutes later Georgia scored again as Lauren Zacharski connected on a pass from McKee to tie the match two-all.

Georgia came out on fire the second half and scored three goals within 10 minutes of each other, then sat back and played defense for the remainder of the match.

Georgia tallied 13 shots, compared to only four for the Hurricanes. UGA also took five corner kicks, while Miami took none.

-Courtesy of Sports Information

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...