Lady Canes fall to Georgia in first round of NCAA Tournament

The Miami soccer team fell short, falling 5-2 to Georgia in the first round of the NCAA tournament Friday afternoon at the Percy Beard Stadium in Gainesville.

The Hurricanes wrap up the 2001 season with an overall mark of 10-9-1, while the Bulldogs improve to 13-5-1 overall.

“We started the match very strong and played well,” said head coach Jim Blankenship. “We just needed to take that momentum and play strong for the entire match, something we will improve on.”

Georgia will face the winner of the match between host Florida and UCF Sunday at 2 p.m.

The Hurricanes struck first; scoring 10 minutes into the match as Deidre Bass scored her fifth goal of the season to put Miami on top by one. Allison McWhinney and Laura West assisted Bass on the goal.

Miami continued its attack scoring three minutes later as McWhinney scored on a pass from Bass.

The Hurricanes kept the two-point lead until Georgia’s Tricia McKee scored on a cross from Kristen Allen at 26:17 putting the Bulldogs back into the match.

Six minutes later Georgia scored again as Lauren Zacharski connected on a pass from McKee to tie the match two-all.

Georgia came out on fire the second half and scored three goals within 10 minutes of each other, then sat back and played defense for the remainder of the match.

Georgia tallied 13 shots, compared to only four for the Hurricanes. UGA also took five corner kicks, while Miami took none.

-Courtesy of Sports Information

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...