Campus tours address safety

Safety is a major concern on every college campus, and the University of Miami is not an exception.

The Campus Lighting and Safety Tour was conducted this past Wednesday evening as representatives from FPL, UNICCO, Disability Services, Student Government, Public Safety, and several other services came together to inspect safety on campus.

“The campus lighting tours are held twice a year (fall and spring semesters) in an effort to identify problem areas such as lights out, overgrown foliage, need for additional lights, etc. affecting the safety of our campus community,” stated Gayle Sheeder, Administrative Assistant in the Office of the Dean of Students. The tour lasted a total of an hour and a half where concerns such as inadequate lightning and overgrown foliage were pointed out as well as suggestions for placement of more blue light emergency boxes.

The largest concern however, was for the lack of emergency boxes in the Serpentine parking lot where construction is taking place on the new basketball arena.

“Once the construction is over, blue lights will definitely need to be put it. It doesn’t make sense to put them in before construction is completed because that will require major trenching which is extremely expensive,” said Henry Christensen from Public Safety.

The 25 individuals who partook in the tour were separated into two groups where they proceeded to make a thorough inspection of safety concerns around campus.

Group one inspected areas surrounding the academic buildings, Panhellenic and Interfraternity locations, Mahoney/Pearson Residential Colleges and religious buildings.

Group two surveyed the areas surrounding the Wellness Center, Gusman Hall, Ring Theater, University Center, Rathskeller, apartment areas as well as Eaton, Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges.

Dean William Sandler accompanied the tour in which he made notes of what safety hazards were brought to his attention.

“I make a tape recorded memo of the findings and send the reports back to Physical Plant. The problem will usually get fixed immediately unless it’s a more extensive job which would take more time and planning,” stated Dean Sandler.

The tour showed that all in all, the University of Miami is a safe campus.

“Bill Butler who was the former Vice President for Student Affairs for thirty-two years first began these Campus Lighting tours about six to eight years ago. As a result, a lot of problems [concerning safety]were found,” said Dean Sandler.

Several years later, the Campus Lighting and Safety Tours are still taking place and have corrected countless safety concerns, Sandler said.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...