Campus tours address safety

Safety is a major concern on every college campus, and the University of Miami is not an exception.

The Campus Lighting and Safety Tour was conducted this past Wednesday evening as representatives from FPL, UNICCO, Disability Services, Student Government, Public Safety, and several other services came together to inspect safety on campus.

“The campus lighting tours are held twice a year (fall and spring semesters) in an effort to identify problem areas such as lights out, overgrown foliage, need for additional lights, etc. affecting the safety of our campus community,” stated Gayle Sheeder, Administrative Assistant in the Office of the Dean of Students. The tour lasted a total of an hour and a half where concerns such as inadequate lightning and overgrown foliage were pointed out as well as suggestions for placement of more blue light emergency boxes.

The largest concern however, was for the lack of emergency boxes in the Serpentine parking lot where construction is taking place on the new basketball arena.

“Once the construction is over, blue lights will definitely need to be put it. It doesn’t make sense to put them in before construction is completed because that will require major trenching which is extremely expensive,” said Henry Christensen from Public Safety.

The 25 individuals who partook in the tour were separated into two groups where they proceeded to make a thorough inspection of safety concerns around campus.

Group one inspected areas surrounding the academic buildings, Panhellenic and Interfraternity locations, Mahoney/Pearson Residential Colleges and religious buildings.

Group two surveyed the areas surrounding the Wellness Center, Gusman Hall, Ring Theater, University Center, Rathskeller, apartment areas as well as Eaton, Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges.

Dean William Sandler accompanied the tour in which he made notes of what safety hazards were brought to his attention.

“I make a tape recorded memo of the findings and send the reports back to Physical Plant. The problem will usually get fixed immediately unless it’s a more extensive job which would take more time and planning,” stated Dean Sandler.

The tour showed that all in all, the University of Miami is a safe campus.

“Bill Butler who was the former Vice President for Student Affairs for thirty-two years first began these Campus Lighting tours about six to eight years ago. As a result, a lot of problems [concerning safety]were found,” said Dean Sandler.

Several years later, the Campus Lighting and Safety Tours are still taking place and have corrected countless safety concerns, Sandler said.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...