9th Annual Diwali Festival of Lights educates and entertains

Hundreds were in attendance at the 9th Annual Diwali Festival of Lights, which was presented by UM’s Indian Students Association.

Diwali is the Hindu celebration of the victory of righteousness and the lifting of spiritual darkness.

“The goal of the show is to evoke joyous feelings, education, and entertainment so that we can all have a better appreciation of Indian culture”, said Deep Patel, ISA Vice-President.

Students from UM, Coral Reef High School, FIU, and talented children from the local community were among the participants in the event.

Guest speaker, Arvind Singh, an Indian man wearing a headdress and a long beard, spoke at the opening of the show about the discrimination he and many of his friends have experienced since Sept.11.

“We must never forget the multicultural ideals that are the foundation of America,” said Singh. “There is no doubt that I am proud to be an American.”

Throughout the showcase, several traditional dances were performed including Bharata Natyam, Bhangra, Raas, Garba Taandav, and a Filipino Tinikling dance.

Indian dance forms are said to be an expression of the moods of its people.

Classical dance forms are religious in content, while folk dances are reserved for happy occasions.

Not all of the show consisted of traditional customs however.

“I think it was very cool how they incorporated rave moves in the glow stick dance,” said Jorge Manuel Martinez. “I also liked how they mixed rap and reggae into some of the songs they played.”

There was also a fashion show consisting of students displaying traditional Indian male and female attire.

The theme of the show centered around a skit of a semi-Americanized Indian family who wished for nothing more than to marry their daughter to a successful business man from India who drove a silver Mercedes-Benz E-class.

“We laughed every time we practiced,” said Megha Karkera, ISA member and participant in the show.

In the end, the girl married a doctor, as is stereotypically the profession every Indian family hopes their daughter will marry into, organizers said.

“The acting in the skit was hilarious,” said Fong Li. “The accents, mannerisms, and facial expressions of the actors reminded me of the families of many of my Indian friends.”

“I really appreciated all the hard work of the students in the presentation,” said Bhagwan Asnani. “They achieved a performance that was very close to professional”.

Traditional Indian food was served during intermission.

“The food was delicious,” said sophomore Leigha Taber. “I never knew Indian food had so many types of tastes”.

“I loved all the dances,” said Taber. “After witnessing all of the rich culture behind many of the Indian traditions, I’m interested in joining ISA and participating in their activities.”

Many of those involved with the show were also very pleased with the presentation.

“Everyone has been practicing since the school year began,” said Aruna “Aunty” Airan, advisor to ISA. “Every year we are improving.”

“We wanted to build our own Diwali celebration while we are away from our familiar hometowns,” said Karkera.

“I was really happy with the turnout,” said Aaditya Vora, ISA President. “The audience nearly doubled from last year”.

After the show, an after party at was held at Club 609 in the Grove.

“It’s just going to be a regular party,” said Ru Bhatt, and ISA member who was planning to attend the festivities. “We’re not going to wear any traditional clothing or anything, we’re just going to have a good time”.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...