The Truth Will Always Win Out

We ended our Oct. 9 editorial regarding the theft of 9,000 issues of the Hurricane four days earlier with those words.

And despite attempts by others to continually cloud the issue and distort the facts, the truth did, indeed, win out.

Two members of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity have been suspended and a third put on probation as a result of a University investigation into the theft. As we have noted before, the theft was a deliberate attempt to rob us of our right to publish the news and your basic right to be kept informed.

We believe the University’s investigation was thorough and the penalties handed down were just. There can be no compromises when it comes to dealing with those who seek to deny anyone their rights.

We applaud the university administration for its zero tolerance decision.

Let these penalties handed down serve as a warning and a deterrent to others to never attempt this sort of thing again.

We also hope it will put to rest the sometimes bitter and decisive debate over the theft of the papers. It no longer serves any useful or constructive purpose. It’s time to move on.

For in the final analysis, the truth has won out.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...