Sidewalks coming to San Amaro

The construction on San Amaro Drive has been a project the University and the City of Coral Gables have been working on for more than a year and is now underway.

When finished, it will provide sidewalks, lighting, signage, medians, a traffic circle, landscaping and irrigation. The construction work extends to Miller Drive up through the Doctor’s Hospital area.

“The University was required by the City to provide sidewalks and lighting only along the perimeter of the university,” said Janet Gavarrete, University Campus Planner.

“We recognized the importance of being a good community partner and neighbor and the need to address the vehicular traffic along San Amaro Drive as part of the project. The University worked with the City staff, city consultants and neighborhood to deal with the street calming recommendations made to the city by their traffic consultants,” Gavarrete said.

The University of Miami offered the City of Coral Gables the funding for the professional services for the construction documents and the construction work. The City accepted and is now a City project.

Alberto Delgado, City of Coral Gables Director of Public Works was unable to get in contact with for comment.

The University retained engineers to design the improvements to comply with the City requirements, said Gavarrete.

“The University felt that going beyond the city requirements was a more comprehensive and proper manner of dealing with the safety issues expressed by the city and the community,” said Gavarrete.

The construction though has created some problems for commuter students that drive as well as walk through San Amaro Drive. While city workers renovate the area, drivers have been inconvenienced, having to detour through Urbino Avenue.

“There are no pedestrian signs anywhere along San Amaro Drive and it makes it dangerous to cross the street,” said John Lopez, a senior who walks through San Amaro.

“I think it’s great they’re putting in a sidewalk because being a runner it’s safer for students,” said Lopez.

David Shair, a senior and Eaton resident, said, “The sidewalks are good but why is taking so long?”

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...