Metal’s New Princess

It is very difficult for a 19-year-old piano prodigy and small town girl who is influenced by Harry Chapin and Nine Inch Nails to “make it” into the big leagues. However, Lennon Murphy has achieved that and way more: she is here to teach America that women can be beautiful, gifted, and insightful, while also being tough, metal rock machines.

Lennon can rock harder than any tough, backwards-cap guy singing about strippers and cars. By simply using her voice, her deeply intimate lyrics, and her strong musical aptitude, she could let you into her world, make you feel the way she does and completely alter the way you think about young women in the music industry.

Her debut album 5:30 Saturday Morning was released on September 11. The first single, “Brake of Your Car,” reveals the agonies of love caught in between a haunting, synthesizer-loaded metal beat. Even more compelling are the tracks “My Beautiful” and “Morning.” The first achieves the perfect blend of distorted guitars and delicate piano playing, while “Morning” exemplifies the distinctiveness of her sound and lyrics. According to Lennon, this is “the only song in the album I listen to.” While in the process of recording, she tried to make “an album that people could relate to, not limited to anybody.”

Lennon embarked a couple of months ago on a cross-country tour that she hopes will never end. “Touring is all I love to do. The best is getting to play every night.” Her band members, manager, dog, 9 year-old sister Mary and a couple of friends accompany her in the road from start to finish; they are almost like a large family. She admits to amusing herself on the tour bus by “watching Law & Order and playing with the dog because she is bored with everything else on the bus.”

Last Friday, November 9, Lennon performed the last show of her tour with Alice Cooper in Pompano Beach, Florida. Although she looks like a defiant gothic queen at first, the more she talks, the more tender and sweeter the future rock star becomes. The same happens with her music. With only one listen, songs like “These Days,” “Property of Goatf***er” and “Couldn’t Breathe” would make anyone notice the metal wall of noise and dark lyrics, but after the second, all the melodious facets of her sound and the genuine hurt in her voice come to shine.

Lennon will play with Tesla on December 1 at Orbit in Boyton Beach. She plans to continue her tour as far as it takes her. “I’ve accomplished all my goals. If it all ended, I would still be happy.” Hopefully it never will.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...