Men’s basketball preview

Rafael Berumen (12)
F/C, 6-9, Junior, Los Angeles City College
Last Year: Berumen led L.A. City College to a 32-4 record by averaging 18 points and nine rebounds per game. Berumen’s stellar play earned him an All-South Coast Conference selection.
This Year: Along with Will Frisby, Berumen will add a lot of much needed depth to the frontcourt this season. Berumen will likely see some significant minutes off the bench and will be expected to contribute.

Paulo Coelho (13)
G, 6-2, Junior, Universidad de Porto
Last Year: Coelho missed all of last season, recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee.
This Year: Because of the injury, many of Coelho’s expectations are unknown. Coelho has played in 51 career games, however, and will help bolster Miami’s bench with that experience.

Rodrigue Djahue (14)
F, 6-7, Sophomore, Miami NW Christian Academy
Last Year: Djahue saw action in all but two games and provided the Hurricanes with one of their best assets off the bench, averaging 4.1 points and 2.7 rebounds.
This Year: Although Djahue is still learning fundamentals of the game, the sophomore may be one of the first players off Perry Clark’s bench.

Will Frisby (34)
F, 6-8, Sophomore, Fresno City College
Last Year: Selected to the All-Central Valley Conference first team, Frisby averaged 18.5 points and 10.8 rebounds, while shooting almost 58 percent from the field.
This Year: Frisby will start the season as more of a role player, but has more potential than possibly anyone else on the team.

Danny Marakovits (20)
G, 6-4, Sophomore, Allentown Central Catholic
Last Year: Marakovits saw very limited action, playing seven total minutes and scoring three points.
This Year: With the addition of Kahleaf Watson and the return of Coelho, Marakovits’ minutes will probably not go up significantly.

Brandon Okpalobi (10)
G, 6-2, Sophomore, St. Augustine
Last Year: Okpalobi did not see a lot of action, playing 17 total minutes, scoring one point and pulling down five rebounds. He did play four minutes in the Big East Tournament.
This Year: With several guards on the team, Okpalobi will probably be fighting for playing time with Marakovits.

Jerry Schlie (11)
F, 6-6, Senior, Sachem
Last Year: Used sparingly throughout the season, Schlie scored three points and pulled down three rebounds in 23 total minutes.
This Year: Miami’s lack of frontcourt depth may give Schlie playing time early on. By midseason though, Frisby and Djahue will likely get most of Schlie’s minutes.

Michael Simmons (1)
G, 6-0, Sophomore, Mercersburg Academy
Last Year: Starting all 29 games at the point, Simmons provided stellar defense and dished out 2.5 assists per game. However, Simmons wasn’t much of a scoring threat, averaging 2.5 points.
This Year: Still recovering from a hip injury, Simmons will start the season on the bench. Whether he eventually moves back into the starting lineup or not, Simmons will still have a lot of duties on this team.

Kahleaf Watson (2)
G, 6-2, Freshman, Blue Ridge
Last Year: Led Blue Ridge High to it’s second consecutive state title, averaging 18.1 points and 4.5 assists in the process.
This Year: Watson may not see a lot of time early on, but his quickness and athleticism could land him the primary backup duties by the end of the season.

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...