Men’s basketball preview

Rafael Berumen (12)
F/C, 6-9, Junior, Los Angeles City College
Last Year: Berumen led L.A. City College to a 32-4 record by averaging 18 points and nine rebounds per game. Berumen’s stellar play earned him an All-South Coast Conference selection.
This Year: Along with Will Frisby, Berumen will add a lot of much needed depth to the frontcourt this season. Berumen will likely see some significant minutes off the bench and will be expected to contribute.

Paulo Coelho (13)
G, 6-2, Junior, Universidad de Porto
Last Year: Coelho missed all of last season, recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee.
This Year: Because of the injury, many of Coelho’s expectations are unknown. Coelho has played in 51 career games, however, and will help bolster Miami’s bench with that experience.

Rodrigue Djahue (14)
F, 6-7, Sophomore, Miami NW Christian Academy
Last Year: Djahue saw action in all but two games and provided the Hurricanes with one of their best assets off the bench, averaging 4.1 points and 2.7 rebounds.
This Year: Although Djahue is still learning fundamentals of the game, the sophomore may be one of the first players off Perry Clark’s bench.

Will Frisby (34)
F, 6-8, Sophomore, Fresno City College
Last Year: Selected to the All-Central Valley Conference first team, Frisby averaged 18.5 points and 10.8 rebounds, while shooting almost 58 percent from the field.
This Year: Frisby will start the season as more of a role player, but has more potential than possibly anyone else on the team.

Danny Marakovits (20)
G, 6-4, Sophomore, Allentown Central Catholic
Last Year: Marakovits saw very limited action, playing seven total minutes and scoring three points.
This Year: With the addition of Kahleaf Watson and the return of Coelho, Marakovits’ minutes will probably not go up significantly.

Brandon Okpalobi (10)
G, 6-2, Sophomore, St. Augustine
Last Year: Okpalobi did not see a lot of action, playing 17 total minutes, scoring one point and pulling down five rebounds. He did play four minutes in the Big East Tournament.
This Year: With several guards on the team, Okpalobi will probably be fighting for playing time with Marakovits.

Jerry Schlie (11)
F, 6-6, Senior, Sachem
Last Year: Used sparingly throughout the season, Schlie scored three points and pulled down three rebounds in 23 total minutes.
This Year: Miami’s lack of frontcourt depth may give Schlie playing time early on. By midseason though, Frisby and Djahue will likely get most of Schlie’s minutes.

Michael Simmons (1)
G, 6-0, Sophomore, Mercersburg Academy
Last Year: Starting all 29 games at the point, Simmons provided stellar defense and dished out 2.5 assists per game. However, Simmons wasn’t much of a scoring threat, averaging 2.5 points.
This Year: Still recovering from a hip injury, Simmons will start the season on the bench. Whether he eventually moves back into the starting lineup or not, Simmons will still have a lot of duties on this team.

Kahleaf Watson (2)
G, 6-2, Freshman, Blue Ridge
Last Year: Led Blue Ridge High to it’s second consecutive state title, averaging 18.1 points and 4.5 assists in the process.
This Year: Watson may not see a lot of time early on, but his quickness and athleticism could land him the primary backup duties by the end of the season.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...