Greeks and the ‘Hurricane’

The final disciplinary action against members of Alpha Epsilon Pi for the theft of the Oct. 5 editions of the Hurricane should not be seen as an indictment of the university Greek system.

The theft was clearly the misguided action of certain individuals. These people sought to deny us of our right to publish and distribute the paper and your right to read it.

Any reasonable person would agree their actions were deplorable.

However, there are some who have sought to cloud the issue of the theft by attempting to drive a wedge between the Greek community and this newspaper. Regrettably, we suspect those people are guided by their egos rather than a desire to help lead our university community.

That is clearly unacceptable to us.

We believe that the vast majority of those in UM fraternities and sororities strongly support our efforts to bring you the news. And we strongly support their efforts to improve our community.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...